Skip to main content

dynamic - Control variable and body variable decoupling in Manipulate


This issue was raised as an offside problem in this thread. Consider the following example, that does not work as expected:


Manipulate[{x, r}, {{x, r}}, {r, 0, 1}]


Note that as r is manipulated the InputField of x is updated (as the initial value of x is set to be r) but not the x displayed as the body of the Manipulate. Interestingly, if x depends on r in a different way (endpoints of range instead of initial value) the example works as expected: whenever r is changed it changes both the displayed values of x:


Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, r, 1}, {r, 0, 1}]

It seems like that in Manipulate changing a variable (r) does not trigger a re-evaluation of the initial-value-dependent variable (x) displayed in the body though its value displayed in the control is updated correctly.


I have no idea why the first example does not work the same way as the second does. While it might be said that this is a feature, I would argue that the unexplained decoupling of the two representations of x (as body and control) is quite disturbing.


Workarounds




  1. The re-evaluation can be triggered by making x dynamic:



    Manipulate[{Dynamic[x], r}, {{x, r}}, {r, 0, 1}]


  2. Moving the definition of x out of the control-arguments to the body of the Manipulate:


    Manipulate[{x = r, r}, {r, 0, 1}]


  3. Rewriting it in DynamicModule: it has an explicit function inside the Dynamic of r that sets x whenever r is modified:


    Panel@DynamicModule[{x, r = .5},
    x = r;

    Grid[{
    {"x", InputField[Dynamic[x]]},
    {"r", Slider[Dynamic[r, (r = #; x = #) &], {0, 1}]},
    {Panel[Dynamic@{x, r}], SpanFromLeft}
    }, Alignment -> Left]
    ]



Answer



Using InputForm sheds some light:



Manipulate[{x, r}, {{x, r}}, {r, 0, 1}] // InputForm
(* Manipulate[{x, r}, {{x, r}},{r, 0, 1}] *)

Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, r, 1}, {r, 0, 1}] // InputForm
(* Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, Dynamic[r], 1}, {r, 0, 1}]*)

The desired behaviour of the first example can be achieve by this modification:


Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, r}, {r, 0, 1}]

Which has an input form of:



Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, r}, {r, 0, 1}] // InputForm
(* Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, Dynamic[r]}, {r, 0, 1}] *)

However Manipulate doesn't know how to render the control type, so therefore


Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, r, ControlType -> InputField}, {r, 0, 1}] // InputForm
(* Manipulate[{x, r}, {x, Dynamic[r], ControlType -> InputField}, {r, 0, 1}] *)

allows the first example to have similar behaviour to the second example.


Edit


In reply to the comment from @István Zachar this is my best guess as to why -- with the qualifier that I mostly use DynamicModule not Manipulate so am not an expert on its inner workings.



Manipulate[{x, r}, {{x, r}}, {r, 0, 1}]

is of the form Manipulate[{x, r}, {{u, u_unit}}, {r, 0, 1}]. It seems like an incomplete expression and the syntax colouring for x doesn't indicate localization. This is confirmed by Manipulate[{x, r}, {{x, r, 1}}, {r, 0, 1}] which is of the form Manipulate[{x, r}, {{u, u_unit,u_label}}, {r, 0, 1}] and renders as


enter image description here


So as written (i.e. {{u, u_unit}}) there is a value to display in the input field, r, but there is not a complete definition for x.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...