Skip to main content

physics - Electric Field Plot


I want to show an electric field of several arrangements of point charges in xy-plane. I wrote a routine that plots an electric field of a charge:


r0 = {a, b};
r1 = {-a, b};
r2 = {-a, -b};

r2 = {-a, -b};
pot[r_] := q/Norm[r - r0] + q/Norm[r - r2] - q/Norm[r - r1] - q/Norm[r - r3]
fld[r_] := (q*(r - r0)/Norm[r - r0]^3 + q*(r - r2)/Norm[r - r2]^3 - q*(r - r1)/Norm[r - r1]^3 - q*(r - r3)/Norm[r - r3]^3)
a = 2.5;
b = 2.5;
q = 1;
StreamPlot[fld[{x, y}], {x, 0, 5}, {y, 0, 5},PlotRangePadding -> None, FrameLabel -> "electric field",Epilog -> {Red, Disk[r0, 0.07], Blue , Line[{{0, 5.5}, {0, 0}, {5.5, 0}}]}]

enter image description here


Now I want to show:



a) 2 charges with inverted sign


b) 4 charges on edges of a cuboid in xy-plane (edges connect charges with inverted sign)


c) 6 randomly distributed charges with vanishing total charge by using RandomReal and initialize random generator with SeedRandom[1234567]


Could someone help me out with a,b,c ? Thank you very much!



Answer



SeedRandom[1234567];
q = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, 6];
r0 = RandomReal[{-3, 3}, {6, 2}]
q = q - Total[q]/6;
phi = Sum[

q[[i]]/Sqrt[({x, y} - r0[[i]]).({x, y} - r0[[i]])], {i, 1, 6}];
f = -Grad[phi, {x, y}]

Show[StreamPlot[Evaluate[f], {x, -4, 4}, {y, -4, 4},
StreamColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
StreamColorFunctionScaling -> False],
Graphics[Table[
If[q[[i]] < 0, {Blue, PointSize[.1*Abs[q[[i]]]],
Point[r0[[i]]]}, {Red, PointSize[.1*Abs[q[[i]]]],
Point[r0[[i]]]}], {i, 1, 6}]]]


and on a large scale


Show[StreamPlot[Evaluate[f], {x, -40, 40}, {y, -40, 40}, 
StreamColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
StreamColorFunctionScaling -> False],
Graphics[Table[
If[q[[i]] < 0, {Blue, PointSize[.1*Abs[q[[i]]]],
Point[r0[[i]]]}, {Red, PointSize[.1*Abs[q[[i]]]],
Point[r0[[i]]]}], {i, 1, 6}]]]


fig1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...