Skip to main content

linear algebra - Generating a vector of dummy variables


So I'm the situation of needing analytical solutions to a family of equations of the form Ax=b, where A is an nxn matrix. I've written a function that does what I want, but I'm currently using a bit of a hack to generate arbitrary (dummy) variable names for the n-vector 'x' :


Map[Clear, Table["x" <> ToString[j], {j, n}]];
x = ToExpression[Table["x" <> ToString[j], {j, n}]];

Can anyone suggest a more elegant way of accomplishing this task?



Answer




You have several possibilities for this. The probably two easiest methods are first to use Unique


ClearAll[x];
x = Table[Unique["x"], {10}]
(* {x7, x8, x9, x10, x11, x12, x13, x14, x15, x16} *)

The good thing is, that when some of your variables xn are already defined, Unique will not return them. It always gives you fresh, unused symbols.


The other thing you should consider is, that x[1] can be used like a symbol too, although it isn't one. Therefore


ClearAll[x];
vars = Table[x[i], {i, 10}]
(* Out[15]= {x[1], x[2], x[3], x[4], x[5], x[6], x[7], x[8], x[9], x[10]} *)


Can be used as valid variables too. In any case you should watch out that your variables are not assigned to values accidently. This is a common source of errors if you use them in combination with Solve or its friends.


Why did I use x= in the first example and vars= in the second one?


Let's take a very simple example


a = b[1];
OwnValues[a]
(*
{HoldPattern[a] :> b[1]}
*)


and now we assume that the b would be an a, than we would get an OwnValue-rule like


HoldPattern[a] :> a[1]

Therefore, the moment you use a an substitution process starts which is only stopped by the $RecursionLimit, because a is evaluated into a[1] which again contains an a in the front. This is repeatedly replaced.


Therefore, if you want to use the second approach, don't call it like x = Table[x[i], {i, 10}].


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?