Skip to main content

mathematical optimization - Why does Maximize return a wrong answer?


I want to find the maximum of the following function, but get a wrong result. What am I doing wrong?


Clear[x, y, xx, yy]
peaks[x_, y_] :=
3*(1 - x)^2.*Exp[-(x^2) - (y + 1)^2] -

10*(x/5 - x^3 - y^5) Exp[-x^2 - y^2] - 1/3 Exp[-(x + 1)^2 - y^2];
N[Maximize[peaks[xx, yy], {xx, yy}]]
NMaximize[{peaks[x, y], x >= -2, x <= 2, y >= -2, y <= 3}, {x, y}]
peaks[0, 2]
peaks[1.28568, -0.00484756]

When you look at these graphs, you realize that the results are strange:


peaks[x_, y_] := 3*(1 - x)^2*Exp[-(x^2) - (y + 1)^2] - 
10*(x/5 - x^3 - y^5) Exp[-x^2 - y^2] - 1/3 Exp[-(x + 1)^2 - y^2];
Plot3D[peaks[x, y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 3},

ColorFunction -> "DarkRainbow",
AxesLabel -> Automatic]
ContourPlot[peaks[x, y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 3},
ColorFunction -> "DarkRainbow",
ContourLines -> False,
Contours -> 25]

Mathematica graphics



Answer



You should use FindMaximum:



FindMaximum[peaks[xx, yy], {xx, yy}]


{8.106, {xx -> -0.009, yy -> 1.581}}



plot = Plot3D[peaks[x, y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, PlotRange -> All];

point = Graphics3D[{PointSize@0.05, Point[{-0.009, 1.581, 8.106}]}];

Show[plot, point]


enter image description here


On the other hand, Maximize returns in this case the last local maximum it can find:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...