Skip to main content

plotting - How to plot the stable and unstable manifolds of a hyperbolic fixed point of a nonlinear system of differential equations?


Suppose we have the following simplified system of two ordinary differential equations:


$$\dot{x}(t)=x(t)^2+2y(t)\\ \dot{y}(t)=3x(t)$$



The system has a hyperbolic fixed point the origin. Hence there exits a stable and an unstable manifold going through the origin.


I would like to plot these exact sets. I am able to plot basins of attraction for regions in phase space but I fail to do so once the attracting region is a one-dimensional line (as is the case here with the stable manifold).


streamplot


Edit: With MMM's help I was able to roughly plot the unstable manifold. However, what is more challenging is to plot the stable one.


Eq1 = x'[t] == x[t]^2 + 2*y[t];
Eq2 = y'[t] == 3*x[t];
splot = StreamPlot[{x^2 + 2*y, 3*x}, {x, -6, 6}, {y, -6, 6}];
Show[splot,
ParametricPlot[
Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.

NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {-0.01, 0}]}, {x,
y}, {t, 0, 3}]]], {t, 0, 3}, PlotStyle -> Red],
ParametricPlot[
Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.
NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {0.01, 0}]}, {x,
y}, {t, 0, 2.4}]]], {t, 0, 2.4}, PlotStyle -> Red]]

enter image description here



Answer



The trick to getting the unstable manifold is to run backwards in time. Here I added two more solutions starting near the equilibrium but with negative t:



Eq1 = x'[t] == x[t]^2 + 2*y[t];
Eq2 = y'[t] == 3*x[t];
splot = StreamPlot[{x^2 + 2*y, 3*x}, {x, -6, 6}, {y, -6, 6}];
Show[splot,
ParametricPlot[Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.
NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {-0.01, 0}]}, {x, y}, {t, 0, 4}]]],
{t, 0, 4}, PlotStyle -> Red, PlotRange -> {{-6, 6}, {-6, 6}}],
ParametricPlot[Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.
NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {0.01, 0}]}, {x, y}, {t, 0, 2.6}]]],
{t, 0, 2.6}, PlotStyle -> Red, PlotRange -> {{-6, 6}, {-6, 6}}],

ParametricPlot[Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.
NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {-0.01, 0}]}, {x, y}, {t, 0, -2.6}]]],
{t, 0, -2.6}, PlotStyle -> Green, PlotRange -> {{-6, 6}, {-6, 6}}],
ParametricPlot[Evaluate[First[{x[t], y[t]} /.
NDSolve[{Eq1, Eq2, Thread[{x[0], y[0]} == {0.01, 0}]}, {x, y}, {t, 0, -4}]]],
{t, 0, -4}, PlotStyle -> Green, PlotRange -> {{-6, 6}, {-6, 6}}]
]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...