Skip to main content

replacement - Efficient way of setting up a rule


I tried to define a simple rule defining how λ acts on ψ[n]:



myrule1 = λ ψ[n_] -> α[n + 1]  ψ[n + 1];

The result I get is correct provided there's just one λ on the RHS of ψ[n]. For instance:


λ^2  ψ[n] //. myrule1

isn't computed at all. On the other hand, if I do it step by step:


λ α[1 + n] ψ[1 + n] /. myrule1

I get the correct result. I tried to define a new rule:


myrule2 = λ^m_ ψ[n_] -> α[n + 1] λ^(m - 1) ψ[n + 1];


but it doesn't work. Since the recursive method seemed to work, I created a function which multiplies ψ[m] by λ n times:


timesλ[n_] := Nest[Times[λ, #] /. myrule1 &, ψ[m], n] &

But this is a very crude way of solving this problem.


Do you have any other ideas?



Answer



If you look at the full form versions of λ ψ[n] and λ^k ψ[n]


λ ψ[n] // FullForm



Times[λ, ψ[n]]



λ^k ψ[n] // FullForm


Times[Power[λ, k],ψ[n]]



you see that the second expression can't match your rule because it contains Power. Therefore, as Daniel Lichtblau suggests, you need to have two rules.


rules = {λ ψ[n_] -> α[1 + n] ψ[1 + n],

λ^j_ ψ[n_] -> Product[α[s], {s, n + 1, n + j}] ψ[j + n]};

Now you can get both


λ ψ[n] /. rules


α[1 + n] ψ[1 + n]



and


λ^k ψ[n] /. rules



Product[α[s], {s, n + 1, n + k}] ψ[k + n]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...