Skip to main content

Possible Bug in ProbitModelFit when used in a Dataset


Since upgrading to Mathematica 10 on Mac OSX I have come across a number of instances of this error, which occurs using Probit and Logit model fit.


enter image description here



A bit of googling show this is something to do with the estimation algorithm.


But the issue is more complex. When I estimate the model straight from this dataset I get the error, but when I first take the values of the data, then fit the model, I get the expected result.


Here's an example


var = {age, gender, photo6};

mTest = SemanticImport[
"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3997716/test.csv"];

testFit =
mTest[ProbitModelFit[#, var,

var] &, {#age, #gender, #photo6, #rawM} &]

testFit2 =
ProbitModelFit[#, var,
var] &@(mTest[All, {"age", "gender", "photo6", "rawM"}] //
Normal // Values)

Output of this is


enter image description here


Why the two different results for the same calculation? Is there a workaround that allows the estimation to proceed when directly using the dataset?




Answer



I believe that this is a bug. The rest of this response speculates as to the possible cause.


We start by observing that the test can be made to work by suppressing MissingBehaviour:


mTest[
ProbitModelFit[#, var, var] &
, {#age, #gender, #photo6, #rawM} &
, MissingBehavior -> None
]

result screenshot



It also works if FailureAction -> None is specified instead, but then the exhibited error message about non-real values is produced (along with the correct result).


As noted elsewhere MissingBehavior is implemented by Dataset`WithOverrides. ??Dataset`WithOverrides reveals that this function temporarily alters the definitions of a number of symbols, namely those in this list:


Dataset`Overrides`PackagePrivate`$AllChangedSymbols

(* { Commonest,First,InterquartileRange,Kurtosis,Last,Mean,Median,Missing,Most,
Quartiles,Rest,RootMeanSquare,Skewness,StandardDeviation,Total,Variance }
*)

It so happens that ProbitModelFit uses Total. We can verify that fact like this:


$data = mTest[All, {#age, #gender, #photo6, #rawM} &];


On @@ Dataset`Overrides`PackagePrivate`$AllChangedSymbols

ProbitModelFit[$data // Normal, {age, gender, photo6}, {age, gender, photo6}]

Off[]

(* ... produces many trace messages containing Total ... *)

It would appear that the patching performed by Dataset`WithOverrides is interfering with the operation of ProbitModelFit. We can simulate this by engaging in some patching of our own:



Internal`InheritedBlock[{Total}
, Unprotect @ Total
; Total[n___] /; False := Null
; ProbitModelFit[$data // Normal,{age,gender,photo6},{age,gender,photo6}]
]

result screenshot


This patch is even less invasive than the one installed by Dataset`WithOverrides, and yet it generates the same error message (and the same correct output). It would seem that ProbitModelFit is expecting Total to operate exactly as it is shipped -- nothing more, nothing less.


Conclusion


ProbitModelFit does not function properly within a query with default missing- and failure-handling. The missing-handling alters the definition of Total in a manner that causes ProbitModelFit to issue a warning message. The failure-handling sees that message and, by default, fails the whole query operation. Correct operation can be restored by either disabling the missing-handling, the failure-handling, or both.



The missing-handling is implemented by monkey-patching various low-level system components. This patching implements the proper Query semantics, at the cost of disturbing normal non-query system behaviour. Such disturbances are a frequent consequence of monkey-patching. The patching methodology explains not only the issue under discussion, but a number of other erratic Dataset behaviours logged on this site.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...