Skip to main content

front end - How do I create annotations for functions?


In 10.3, Mathematica starts captioning symbol-names into foreign languages if your Interface preferences are set to have Mathematica in a foreign language.


Graph annotated


I poked around the Attributes, and viewed the Cell expression, but from the code I couldn't find any sign that this was happening at all (though it's obviously happening somehow).



I want to be able to make this happen on my own functions: to be able to supply translations, for instance, or extremely short inline explanations. For example, if I made a little function toInt, I might want to attach a type annotation String->Integer. This could help offset the verbosity of Mathematica code by making the notebook interface that little bit more intelligent.


One can see the translations available using WolframLanguageData:


WolframLanguageData[Graph][
EntityProperty["WolframLanguageSymbol", "Translations"]
]

How does Mathematica do the translation annotations, and how can I do it myself?



Answer




Karsten 7. suggested a better method in the comments, which does not require a modification of any system files and can be used under English language setting. It works on my 10.2 installation after applying the following procedures:





  1. Under the user's directory (FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory,"SystemFiles\\FrontEnd\\SystemResources\\FunctionalFrequency"}]), add a file named, say, CustomAnnotation.m.




  2. Edit this CustomAnnotation.m as you want, consisting with the format of the built-in language specification file as described in my old answer (see below).




  3. Either open the Option Inspector and add the following path to Global Options ► File Locations ► PrivatePaths ► "TranslationData":




    FrontEnd`FileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", "SystemResources", "FunctionalFrequency"}]

    or execute the following code within the notebook:


    CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, {PrivatePaths, "TranslationData"}] = 
    Append[CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, {PrivatePaths, "TranslationData"}],
    FrontEnd`FileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd",
    "SystemResources", "FunctionalFrequency"}]];


  4. Restart Mathematica.





  5. Execute the following code in Mathematica (replace $FrontEnd with $FrontEndSession for non-persistent modification):


    SetOptions[$FrontEnd, TranslationOptions -> {"Enabled" -> True, 
    "Language" -> "CustomAnnotation"}]





NOTE:




  1. The following method works on my Mathematica 10.2, but not tested on other versions. [Also tested on Mathematica 10.3, Mac OS 10.11.1.]

  2. The following method involving modification of a system file, thus is likely prohibited by the EULA.






  1. First find the language specific file located on a path similar to the following (I will use the simplified Chinese as a demonstration):



    C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\10.2\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\SystemResources\FunctionalFrequency\ChineseSimplified.m






  2. Add a new function annotation line (the 3rd line in the snapshot):


    Mathematica graphics




  3. Open Mathematica with language setting to simplified Chinese, type ThisIsATestFunction in a notebook:


    Mathematica graphics





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...