Skip to main content

customization - Can we make new definitions for InputForm in packages?


Those who don't have/prefer the front end of Mathematica will either use a plain ASCII editor to write a script in an .m file or just use Mathematica directly from a command-line terminal. In either case, everything must be supplied in InputForm.


When working with a Mathematica package, commonly used symbols/functions might be excessively verbose in InputForm, and certain shortcuts/aliases would be greatly desired. Examples of built-in InputForm shortcuts are the infix operators + (Plus), - (Minus), ... and . (Dot).


Two questions that arise as a package developer:





  1. Can I make definitions to InputForm? That is, can I modify how input supplied as InputForm gets parsed into FullForm?




  2. (152744)






Example 1


<...> should correspond to AngleBracket. That is, should correspond to AngleBracket[a,b,c].





Example 2


Remap character . to package function myDot:



  1. a.b.c should be no longer be parsed in InputForm as Dot[a,b,c]

  2. It should be parsed myDot[a,b,c].


(n.b. the solution for the analogous question in StandardForm assuming a front end is here.)



Answer



Unfortunately, I don't think there is. The association between characters and symbol names is burned into the kernel (in the form of a "yacc" grammar), with complete information about associativity, precedence, and tokenization.



Consider something as simple as your dot example. Presumably you want 2.3 to be the real number 2.3, not myDot[2,3]. How would you express that? In the box world you can redefine RowBox[{_,",",_}], but that's only because the FE has done the hardw ork for you of figuring out that 2.3 is boxed as "2.3", not as a RowBox[{"2",".","3"}]. The < > example is worse (and would be hard to do in an FE as well), because you're changing < and > from seaparate, binary operators to a matched pair.


Basically, the FE provides natural places to attach rules, which when all you have is a raw string is not an easy thing to do.


The best I can recommend is to find an operator without built in meaning, like say \[CenterDot], and attach definitions to the corresponding symbol. If you have a keyboard which has a center dot key (or shortcut) that's convinient for you, you can just use that. Otherwise, you'd have to type in \[CenterDot] each time, at which point you may as well be typing myDot[...].


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...