Skip to main content

error - Using Merge[Identity] and Transpose on a Dataset


While experimenting with this answer, I ran across the following:


data = Dataset[{
<|"a" -> 1, "b" -> "x"|>,
<|"a" -> 2, "b" -> "y"|>}];


data[Transpose /* f, {"a", "b"}]

(* f[<|"a" -> {1, 2}, "b" -> {"x", "y"}|>] *)

data[Merge[Identity] /* f, {"a", "b"}]

(* f[<|"a" -> {1, 2}, "b" -> {"x", "y"}|>] *)

But when I fill in f with a function:



(*This works*)
data[Transpose /* (Max[#a] + Total[#b] &), {"a", "b"}]

(*This fails*)
data[Merge[Identity] /* (Max[#a] + Total[#b] &), {"a", "b"}]

Replacing #a and #b with #[[1]] and #[[2]] seems to work.



  1. Why does using Merge[Identity] fail?

  2. Is Transpose[] a descending operator in a Dataset, and is this related to 1.?




Answer



I believe what you experience should not happen because when you use the alternative notation for named slots, it works as expected:


data = Dataset[{<|"a" -> 1, "b" -> "x"|>, <|"a" -> 2, "b" -> "y"|>}];
data[Merge[Identity] /* (Max[#["a"]] + Total[#["b"]] &)]
(* 2 + "x" + "y" *)

Additionally, you could split your original function into two parts and it still works:


data[Merge[Identity]];
%[(Max[#a] + Total[#b] &)]

(* 2 + "x" + "y" *)

Therefore, without further inspection through Trace or friends, I would say this is a bug or a feature I don't understand. Nevertheless, I cannot answer your first question why it specifically fails.


To your second question: Transpose should be an ascending operator, when I understood the documentation and the meaning correctly. Let me illustrate this. Assume we have to following test Dataset:


test = Dataset[RandomInteger[9, {2, 3}]]


Mathematica graphics



Now, we do some test with the descending operator All. Descending means, first all data is selected and the following min/max function is applied to each element on the next level, which are the vectors {5,7,9} and {8,3,7}



test[All, {Min[#], Max[#]} &] //Normal
(* {{5, 9}, {3, 8}} *)

The output are the expected min/max values of each vector.


Transpose works differently. First, the min/max function is calculated on all elements and then the result is transpose. And this, although Transpose comes first:


test[Transpose, {Min[#], Max[#]} &] // Normal
(* {{5, 3}, {9, 8}} *)

If Transpose would be a descending operator, the output should be


test[Transpose][All, {Min[#], Max[#]} &] // Normal

(* {{5, 8}, {3, 7}, {7, 9}} *)

but this is not the case.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...