Skip to main content

differential equations - Orbit followed by a particle around Schwarzschild Black Hole



The following is a equation which describes various possible orbits of a particle around the Schwarzschild black hole spacetime in general relativity. I want to solve it from -Pi to Pi but fails, any suggestions?


d = 6 m; m = 2;

s =
NDSolve[
{u'[Ï•] - Sqrt[2 m u[Ï•]^3 - u[Ï•]^2 + 1/d^2] == 0, u[0] == 0},
u, {Ï•, -0.4, 2.5}]


P1 = PolarPlot[Evaluate[{1/(u[Ï•])} /. s], {Ï•, -0.4, 2.5},AspectRatio->1/GoldenRatio]


enter image description here



Answer




The equation can be solved with Method -> "StiffnessSwitching", together with a higher WorkingPrecision:


d = 6 m; m = 2;
s = NDSolve[{u'[Ï•] - Sqrt[2 m u[Ï•]^3 - u[Ï•]^2 + 1/d^2] == 0, u[0] == 0},
u, {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}, Method -> "StiffnessSwitching", WorkingPrecision -> 64]

Plot[Evaluate[u[Ï•] /. s // Re], {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}]


Mathematica graphics


Plot[Evaluate[1/u[Ï•] /. s // Re], {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}]

Mathematica graphics


PolarPlot[Evaluate[1/u[Ï•] /. s // Re], {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}, Exclusions -> Ï• == 0,
PlotRange -> {{-30, 30}, Automatic}]

Mathematica graphics


I added Re because even with WorkingPrecision -> 64 the solution still involves very small imaginary numeric error e.g.



s[[1, 1, -1]][-Pi]
(* -0.0736592722609752787242287643805033631850830491206634648394182567 -
4.668866930386631320069097140978040*10^-31 I *)


Inspired by Solution 1, I found the problem can be resolved by adding a Re in the equation:


d = 6 m; m = 2;
s = NDSolve[{u'[Ï•] - Re@Sqrt[2 m u[Ï•]^3 - u[Ï•]^2 + 1/d^2] == 0,
u[0] == 0}, u, {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}]


The resulting graph is the same as above so I'd like to omit it here.



I still have a feeling that the equation is wrong, at least incomplete, for example, don't you think the following


d = 6 m; m = 2;
s = NDSolve[{u'[Ï•]^2 == (Re@Sqrt[2 m u[Ï•]^3 - u[Ï•]^2 + 1/d^2])^2,
u[0] == 0}, u, {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}]

PolarPlot[Evaluate[1/u[Ï•] /. s], {Ï•, -Pi, Pi}, Exclusions -> Ï• == 0,
PlotRange -> {{-30, 30}, Automatic}]


Mathematica graphics


seems to be more natural?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...