Skip to main content

function construction - Define an 'inner product' with AngleBracket


I want to define my own little 'Inner Product' function satisfying properties of linearity and commutativity, and I'd like to use the "$\langle$" and "$\rangle$" symbols to output my results. For this I am using AngleBracket which has no built-in meaning.


I was able to use SetAttributes[AngleBracket,Orderless] to give my inner product the property of commutativity. $\langle v,w\rangle=\langle w,v\rangle$.


Then I am able to inconsistently get the AngleBracket to distribute over addition using for example Distribute[AngleBracket[u+v,w]]


But I am at a loss to impose the conditions $\langle a v, w\rangle=a\langle v,w \rangle$ where $a$ satisfies NumericQ[a]==True, and especially $\langle 0,v\rangle = 0$.


How can do this? Do I need to write my own 'myInnerProductSimplify' function?



Answer



From your question it can be deduced that you're interested only in the Euclidean scalar product for real vector spaces, so I'll make that assumption.


In version 9, I think the cleanest way to do the symbolic manipulations you're after is to use the new capabilities of TensorReduce. The special case of a null vector does require care because the product of the scalar $0$ with a vector is evaluated by Mathematica to yield $0$ which should then be interpreted as the null vector. This causes no problems if we define AngleBracket to yield zero for such $0$ arguments. So the following works if we make a decision at the outset what symbols we will assume to represent vectors - here I add that to the global variable $Assumptions:


AngleBracket[0, y_] := 0

AngleBracket[x_, 0] := 0
AngleBracket[x_, y_] := Dot[x, y]

Clear[dim];
$Assumptions =
a ∈ Vectors[dim, Reals] && b ∈ Vectors[dim, Reals];

Now some tests:


AngleBracket[3 a, b] == 3 AngleBracket[a, b] // TensorReduce


(* ==> True *)

Assuming[x ∈ Reals,
TensorReduce[AngleBracket[x a, b] == x AngleBracket[a, b]]]

(* ==> True *)

Assuming[x ∈ Reals,
TensorReduce[AngleBracket[a, x b] == x AngleBracket[a, b]]]


(* ==> True *)

So to do the simplifications in the above equations, one wraps them in TensorReduce. The scalar x is introduced through an additional assumption which I could have added to $Assumptions, too.


The use of AngleBracket instead of purely the built-in Dot is still useful here because it allows me to handle the special case involving the null vector. For that I personally prefer to use BraKet, by the way, because it only requires a single escape sequence to get the template for both factors of the scalar product.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...