Skip to main content

list manipulation - Replace For-loop with functional code


I am very new to Mathematica. I have code written using for loops. I want to rewrite it using Map/Thread but I am not sure how to do it.


My code takes the set A, say


A = {{1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, {1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3}}


Then it insert a arbitrary character(say $a$) to every possible positions of given element in the set A. So we get



{{a, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, {1, a, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, ..., 
{a, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3}, ..., {1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, a}}

Then it inserts the same character again into resulting elements in following manner



{{a, a, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, {a, 1, a, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, 
{a, 1, 2, a, 3, 1, 2, 3}, ...., {1, 1 , 2, 2, 3, 3, a}}


This question come from Knot Theory-Chord Diagram


My program using for loops is follows.


A = {{1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, {1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3}};
kk = Length[A[[1]]]/2 + 1;

B = {};

For[m = 1, m < Length[A] + 1, m++,
Diag1 = A[[m]];
For[j = 1, j < (2*kk), j++,

Diag2 = Insert[Diag1, "a", j];
For[i = 1 + j, i < (2*kk) + 1, i++,
Diag3 = Insert[Diag2, "a", i];
B = AppendTo[B, Diag3];
];
];
];

This is what I tried to do with element 2.


f[x_] := Insert[A[[2]], "a", x];

B = Map[f, Range[7]]];

But I don't know how to put variable A[[i]] instead of A[[2]] and also how to insert other end of $a$ to this result using map.


Any comment really appreciated.



Answer



There is a rule/replacement based method using ReplaceList and BlankNullSequence that I think is elegant and easy to understand.


ReplaceList[{1, 2, 3}, {a___, b___} :> {a, x, b}]


{{x, 1, 2, 3}, {1, x, 2, 3}, {1, 2, x, 3}, {1, 2, 3, x}}


ReplaceList[{1, 2, 3}, {a___, b___, c___} :> {a, x, b, x, c}]


{{x, x, 1, 2, 3}, {x, 1, x, 2, 3}, {x, 1, 2, x, 3}, {x, 1, 2, 3, x}, {1, x, x, 2, 3},
{1, x, 2, x, 3}, {1, x, 2, 3, x}, {1, 2, x, x, 3}, {1, 2, x, 3, x}, {1, 2, 3, x, x}}

The only difficulty is extending this to an arbitrary number of insertions. For that we need meta-programming, that is code that generates code:


sprinkle[v_List, x_, n_Integer?Positive] :=
Table[Unique["a", Temporary], {n + 1}] /. syms_ :>

ReplaceList[v, Pattern[#, ___] & /@ syms -> Riffle[syms, x]]

Now:


sprinkle[{1, 2, 3}, x, 4]


{{x, x, x, x, 1, 2, 3}, {x, x, x, 1, x, 2, 3}, {x, x, x, 1, 2, x, 3}, ... }

Your original example may be had with:


A = {{1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3}, {1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3}};

Join @@ (sprinkle[#, a, 2] & /@ A)

You can leave off the Join @@ if you want two sets of sublists; I could not tell form your question if that was desired.


Note: using a capital letter to start a user Symbol name is often a bad idea as these may conflict with internal functions – I preserved your original name for clarity alone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?