Skip to main content

recursion - Creating an Excel-Like Recursive Function


I'm trying to create a certain "excel-like" recursive function, which runs through a pre-defined list and performs an operation dependent upon the current position (similar to the "drag down" type functionality of Excel). Here is some example code, where "m" is the list:


alt[x_] := If[Mod[x, 4] == 3 || Mod[x, 4] == 1, 0, If[Mod[x, 4] == 2, 1, -1]]

ex[x_] := ex[x] = ex[x - 1] + alt[x]*m[[x]]


ex[1] = 0
(* 0 *)

$RecursionLimit = Infinity
(* ∞ *)

ex[10000]

However when evaluating at a large point, the program quits the calculation without an error. Thanks so much for any advice!



Answer




Your example illustrates what you're looking for fairly nicely. One thing I might recommend in the future is sample code for generating m such as:


SeedRandom[1234];
m = RandomInteger[{-100, 100}, 10000];

This produces a random set of integers between -100 and 100 that anyone with Mathematica can reproduce for themselves.


[With your example, I think the problem is that the recursive function takes up too much memory. Unfortunately, the Mathematica front-end is still 32-bit (although I believe that will change in the next few months with the release of MMA 12).] EDIT: As b3m2a1 pointed out, this reason is not correct, however the following should still work:


mylist = Table[ex[i], {i, 10000}]

Due to the memoization you have defined in your function, once ex[2] is called, MMA now knows the value of ex[2] so that on the subsequent call of ex[3] it does not have to do any recursion but instead calls ex[2] + alt[3]*m[[3]] which evaluates to 6 + 0 * -93, rather than ex[2] + 0 * -93. With the Table each step of ex[i] is stored before ex[i + 1] is called.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...