Skip to main content

function construction - Functional programming and Do loops


I'm writing a Monte Carlo simulation. I'm using a Do loop to create the different simulations, iterating over different SeedRandom[] parameters in my pseudorandom number generator. I'm trying to formulate it as a function that returns a list of correlations that I can then manipulate.


I expect there is a very simple solution, but I have to admit that I'm pretty new to Mathematica so I'm having problems. The Mathematica documentation seems to conveniently dodge this issue whenever it comes up! This might be a little complicated, so I'll explain what my code does first, then I'll describe the problem precisely.


First I make a list with the parameters of each of my random variables (I want them to have different means):


varparams = Table[i, {i, 0.1, 0.9, 0.1}];

Then I define my random variables:


var[i_]:=RandomChoice[{varparams[[i]],1-varparams[[i]]}->{1,0},10]

(I'm generating [for argument's sake] a set of 10 values for each run of the simulation).



Now, I define the function that iterates over different SeedRandom[] values, so as to generate different data sets. I want to calculate a list of correlations:


corrlist = {};
corrcheck[i_, j_, n_] := Do[
SeedRandom[k];
AppendTo[corrlist, Correlation[var[i], var[j]]];
, {k, n}]

(n is the number of different runs of the simulation).


Now this sort of works, in the sense that I can run corrcheck[i,j,n] and then work with the corrlist that is produced, but what I want is for corrcheck[i,j,n] itself to be a list, so that I can make tables and other manipulations of corrcheck for different values of i and j. I hope this makes sense. To reiterate: I want the function corrcheck, which consists of a Do loop, to produce a unique list for each set of i,j,n, so that I can do things like:


Table[corrcheck[i,j,100],{i,10},{j,10}]


and manipulations thereof.


The answer has to be obvious. I just can't see it!


Thank you very much in advance.



Answer



This seems to be what you want:


corrcheck[i_, j_, n_, opts___] := Table[BlockRandom[
SeedRandom[k, FilterRules[{opts}, Method]];
Correlation[var[i], var[j]]], {k, n}]


The additional optional argument allows you to change the algorithm used behind the pseudorandom number generator; you can thus do either a call like corrcheck[7, 10, 100] if you're happy with the defaults, or corrcheck[7, 10, 100, Method -> "MersenneTwister"] if you want to fool around with the Mersenne Twister.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...