Skip to main content

plotting - Hexagonal Mesh on a 3D surface


I am new to Mathematica, and I am trying to create a 3D hexagonal mesh on a 3D surface. It is very similar to what was done in this post Create a torus with a hexagonal mesh for 3D-printing, but now instead of a torus I want a hexagonal mesh applied to the following:


p1 = Plot3D[(3*E^(-(x^2))) + 0.05, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2}, 
PlotRange -> {-1, 4}, RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, x < 0],

Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, BoundaryStyle -> Yellow,
PlotStyle -> RGBColor[1, 1, 0]];

p2 = Plot3D[4.05*E^(-(0.5*x^2)) - 1, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, x > 0], BoundaryStyle -> Yellow,
PlotStyle -> RGBColor[1, 1, 0]];

p3 = Plot3D[E^(-(5*(x + 0.6)^2)), {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, x < -0.4], Mesh -> None,
Boxed -> False, BoundaryStyle -> Blue,

PlotStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, 1]];

p4 = Plot3D[0.5*E^(-(12.5*(x + 0.6)^2)) + 0.5, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, -0.4 < x < 0], Mesh -> None,
BoundaryStyle -> Blue, PlotStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, 1]];

p5 = Plot3D[0.5*E^(-(12.5*(x - 0.6)^2)) + 0.5, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, 0 <= x < 0.6], Mesh -> None,
BoundaryStyle -> Blue, PlotStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, 1]];


p6 = Plot3D[2*E^(-(2*(x - 0.6)^2)) - 1, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, z}, x > 0.6], Mesh -> None,
BoundaryStyle -> Blue, PlotStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, 1]];

Show[p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6]

The yellow surface should be made of 3d hexagons


The yellow surface should be made of 3d hexagons. The colors doesn't matter too much. I have tried very hard to do this task, but I am not even close. I will be very greatfull if someone can help!



Answer



Update: With the function top defined in the original post you can replicate all the cool things you see in rm-rf's answer in the linked Q/A. For example, with a slight modification of gr1, i.e.,



Graphics3D[hexTile[20, 20] /.
Polygon[l_] :> {Directive[Orange, Opacity[0.8], Specularity[White, 30]],
Polygon[l], Polygon[{Pi/5, 0} + {-1, 1} # & /@ l]} /.
Polygon[l_List] :> Tube[top @@@ l],
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRange -> All,
Lighting -> "Neutral", Background -> Black]

we get


enter image description here


In fact, you can use @rm-rf's hexTile with any function that can be used as the first argument of ParametricPlot3D. For example, using



foo = {Cos[#], Sin[#] + Cos[#2], Sin[#2]} &;

instead of top:


Graphics3D[hexTile[20, 20] /.
Polygon[l_List] :> {Directive[Orange, Opacity[0.8],
Specularity[White, 30]], Tube[foo @@@ l]},
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRange -> All,
Lighting -> "Neutral", Background -> Black]

we get



enter image description here


Original post:


First, combining the six pieces using two piecewise functions you can use a single Plot3D:


pw1 = Piecewise[{{{3*E^(-(#^2)) + 0.05}, # <= 0},
{{4.05*E^(-(0.5*#^2)) - 1}, # > 0}}] &;
pw2 = Piecewise[{{E^(-(5*(# + 0.6)^2)), # < -0.4},
{0.5*E^(-(12.5*(# + 0.6)^2)) + 0.5, -0.4 <= # < 0},
{0.5*E^(-(12.5*(# - 0.6)^2)) + 0.5, 0 <= # < 0.6},
{2*E^(-(2*(# - 0.6)^2)) - 1, 0.6 <= #}}] &;


Plot3D[{pw1[x], pw2[x]}, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
PlotRange -> All, Boxed -> False, Axes -> False,
BoxRatios -> Automatic, PlotStyle -> {Yellow, Blue}, PlotPoints -> 80,
Mesh -> None, Exclusions -> None, BoundaryStyle -> None]

enter image description here


Alternatively, you can use a single ParametricPlot3D with the following piecewise functions:


top = Piecewise[{{{#, #2, 3*E^(-(#^2)) + 0.05}, # <= 0},
{{#, #2, 4.05*E^(-(0.5*#^2)) - 1}, # > 0}}] &;
bottom = Piecewise[{{{#, #2, E^(-(5*(# + 0.6)^2))}, # < -0.4},

{{#, #2, 0.5*E^(-(12.5*(# + 0.6)^2)) + 0.5}, -0.4 <= # < 0},
{{#, #2, 0.5*E^(-(12.5*(# - 0.6)^2)) + 0.5}, 0 <= # < 0.6},
{{#, #2, 2*E^(-(2*(# - 0.6)^2)) - 1}, 0.6 <= #}}] &;

ParametricPlot3D[{top[x, y], bottom[x, y]}, {x, -4, 4}, {y, 0, 2},
PlotRange -> All, Boxed -> False, BoxRatios -> Automatic, Axes -> False,
PlotStyle -> {Yellow, Blue}, PlotPoints -> 80, Mesh -> None, Exclusions -> None]

enter image description here


You can use the functions top and bottom in combination with @rm-rf's hexTile function from the linked Q/A



hexTile[n_, m_] := With[{hex = Polygon[Table[{Cos[2 Pi k/6] + #, Sin[2 Pi k/6] + #2},
{k, 6}]] &},
Table[hex[3 i + 3 ((-1)^j + 1)/4, Sqrt[3]/2 j], {i, n}, {j, m}] /.
{x_?NumericQ, y_?NumericQ} :> 2 π {x/(3 m), 2 y/(n Sqrt[3])}]

gr1 = Graphics3D[hexTile[20, 20] /.
Polygon[l_] :> {Yellow, Polygon[l], Polygon[{Pi/5, 0} + {-1, 1} # & /@ l]} /.
Polygon[l_List] :> Polygon[top @@@ l],
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRange -> All, Lighting -> "Neutral"]


enter image description here


gr2 = Graphics3D[hexTile[20, 20] /.
Polygon[l_] :> {Blue, Polygon[l], Polygon[{Pi/5, 0} + {-1, 1} # & /@ l]} /.
Polygon[l_List] :> Polygon[bottom @@@ l],
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRange -> All, Lighting -> "Neutral"]

enter image description here


Show[gr1, gr2]

enter image description here



Note: You need to play with the pair of numbers {Pi/5,0} to control gaps and/overlaps between piecewise components.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?