Skip to main content

probability or statistics - Detecting and counting signals in list data: checking pulse rate


Hope this isn't too much of a basic question: I'm looking for some Mathematica functions, but I don't know which ones.


Background



I recently read about a simple technique for reading your body's pulse rate using the camera built into the computer (eg an iSight camera at the top of an iMac). The idea is that you put your finger over the camera in a reasonably well-lit room, record a movie (about 15 - 20 seconds), then analyze the frames for varying light intensities, which somehow indicate your pulse. So far the technique seems to be promising. The code is:


getDataFromList[frames_] := 
Module[{},
Mean[Flatten[ImageData[#]]] & /@
(ColorSeparate[#][[1]] (* red channel is best? *)
& /@ frames)];

AbsoluteTiming[
testFrames = CurrentImage[200];
testData = getDataFromList[testFrames]]


ListLinePlot[testData]

The testData starts off like this:


{0.193808, 0.196383, 0.197617, 0.198657, 0.200555, 0.201459,  
0.201391, 0.1975, 0.197983, 0.198238, 0.200564, 0.201397, 0.202331,
0.20271, 0.199668, 0.196999, 0.197857, 0.19826, 0.199329, 0.200624,
0.201472, 0.202583, 0.199393, 0.198472, 0.199569, 0.200466, 0.201441,
0.203286, etc.


When plotted, the data for me and my left forefinger looks like it might be working (or could at least be a vaguely human pulse):


my pulse


The data is probably too large to include here - but some of you might have cameras and fingers too, and could generate something similar? In this plot there looks to be about 24 pulses, and the time from AbsoluteTiming was 16.965258, so my pulse rate was about 84. (So holding my finger up to the screen was hard work, obviously...)


Question


Which Mathematica functions can I use to extract the actual pulse rate from this and similar sets of data?



Answer



Let's invent some data. The pulse rate will be 50


pulseRate = 50;
sampleRate = 1000;
data = Range[0, 1, 1/sampleRate] /.

t_ :> Sin[2. Pi pulseRate t] + 8 Sinc[Pi t 2.]^2 // # +
RandomReal[0.3 {-1, 1}, Length@#] &;
ListLinePlot[data, DataRange -> {0, 200}, PlotRange -> Full]

Mathematica graphics


Plotting Fourier already shows it will be easy to extract the value


ListLinePlot[Abs@Fourier[data], PlotRange -> {{0, 200}, Full}, 
DataRange -> {0, sampleRate}]

Mathematica graphics



For whatever reason, let's filter it a little bit first


filteredData = data~MovingAverage~10~DerivativeFilter~{1};
ListLinePlot[filteredData]

Mathematica graphics


Now we see more cleary that the peaks are in the pulse rate


ListLinePlot[Abs@Fourier[filteredData], 
PlotRange -> {{0, 200}, Full}, DataRange -> {0, sampleRate}]

Mathematica graphics



In a general case we could be more careful finding the peaks but, let's just find the 2 maximums and their corresponding frequency


(Ordering[Abs@Fourier[filteredData], -2] - 1) Length@data/sampleRate // N


{50.05, 942.942}



Abs@Mod[%, 1000, -500]


{50.05, 57.058}




It's a start


Another quick approach


This would give an indicator vector with ones where there's a peak (local maximum or minimum)


peaks = Unitize@Differences@Sign@Differences[data~MovingAverage~10];

This would give the number of samples between peaks


peakIntersamples = Differences@Flatten@Position[peaks, 1];

From that we can estimate the pulse rate



sampleRate/Median@peakIntersamples/2


50



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?