Skip to main content

implementation details - How does Mathematica solve a certain differential equation?


I was trying to solve a nonlinear differential equation with the following code.


DSolve[3*x^2/D[u[x, y], x] + 3*y^2/D[u[x, y], y] == -1, u, {x, y}]

And I got the following output:


{{u -> Function[{x, y}, x^3/(-1 + C[1]) - y^3/C[1] + C[2]]}}


I would like to see steps. So, I used the following code:


WolframAlpha["DSolve[3*x^2/D[u[x,y],x]+3*y^2/D[u[x,y],y]\[Equal]-1,u,{\
x,y}]", IncludePods -> "Input", AppearanceElements -> {"Pods"},
PodStates -> {"Input__Show steps"}]

But this did not give steps. Is it possible to understand how mathematica solved this differential equation?



Answer



@Nasser's method seems to be what Mathematica does internally. The following gives hints of the steps taken, and one can see the elements of Nasser's solution. Some is left to the user to guess. The first code modifies Integrate to print itself out; the second uses Trace to see the calls to Integrate.


Block[{DSolve`print = Print},                                (* internal hook *)

Internal`InheritedBlock[{Integrate}, Unprotect[Integrate]; (* alter Integrate to print itself *)
i : Integrate[___] /; ! TrueQ[$in] :=
Block[{$in = True}, Print["***Integrate= ", HoldForm[i]]; i];
Protect[Integrate];
DSolve[3*x^2/D[u[x, y], x] + 3*y^2/D[u[x, y], y] == -1, u, {x, y}]
]]

Mathematica graphics


This does something similar, but the Integrate commands are output at the end, not at the time they are called:


Block[{DSolve`print = Print},

Trace[
DSolve[3*x^2/D[u[x, y], x] + 3*y^2/D[u[x, y], y] == -1, u, {x, y}],
_Integrate,
TraceInternal -> True
]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...