Skip to main content

assignment - Assigning values to a list of variable names


As part of a calculation I need to do something like this


Evaluate[{aaa, bbb, ccc}[[ index]]] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

so if index is 1 then {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} will be stored into the variable aaa.
But if I re-evaluate this it does not work because aaa is now a list and not a variable. I tried various options with Hold[] etc but did not manage to solve this.




Answer



This is a fairly natural question and I feel it is worthy of attention. I am going to answer in two parts. First, I am going to show a method that is more appropriate for Mathematica programming and which I recommend you use instead. Then I will show how to force the action you are attempting.





The common way to accomplish programmatically selected assignments is to use indexed variables. This allows you to assemble a "variable" from inert parts. For example, one would use a single variable var and simply make assignments (SeedRandom[1] for a consistent result):


SeedRandom[1]

Do[
var[i] = RandomInteger[9],
{i, {1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 1, 3}}

]

Or recall them:


var /@ {1, 2, 3}


{0, 7, 8}

If you desire a certain name be attached to a value you can index with Strings.


names = {"aaa", "bbb", "ccc"};


i = 1;

var[ names[[i]] ] = Sqrt[2]; (* dummy first assignment *)

var[ names[[i]] ] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5};

var["aaa"]



{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

In passing, depending on your application you may find Rules applicable.


Associations


Mathematica 10 introduced Associations which are like self-contained "indexed variables." Use is similar but you need to start with an (optionally empty) Association before you make assignments. Example:


SeedRandom[1]

asc = <||>;

Do[asc[i] = RandomInteger[9], {i, {1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 1, 3}}]


asc


<|1 -> 0, 2 -> 7, 3 -> 8|>

Values may be recalled using Map, Replace, or Lookup; for a comparison see:



For some ideas of when and why one might use associations over "indexed variables" see:







Suppose you need the behavior you asked for to keep a large program working without extensive modification.


Method #1


This works because Part preserves the head of the expression, here Unevaluated.


Ignore the syntax highlighting in Unevaluated: this is a nonstandard but safe use.


This could easily use the same syntax as Method #2: assign[symbols_, idx_, val_] :=


ClearAll[aaa, bbb, ccc, assign]
assign[idx_, val_] := (# = val) & @ symbols[[1, {idx}]]


symbols = Hold @ Unevaluated[aaa, bbb, ccc];

assign[1, "dummy"];
assign[1, Range@5];

aaa


{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}


Method #2


This uses the injector pattern in preference to Unevaluated.


ClearAll[aaa, bbb, ccc, f1, assign]
assign[symbols_, idx_, val_] := symbols[[{idx}]] /. _[x_] :> (x = val)

symbols = Hold[aaa, bbb, ccc];

assign[symbols, 1, "dummy"];
assign[symbols, 1, Range@5];


aaa


{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...