Skip to main content

front end - Making cells group


After reading rcollyer's post I'm still not able to understand how grouping rules work. Here is a problem I'm facing. What I want is to create a new title, section and subsection styles. I want the title to group everything below till the next title. The section should group everything below till the next section. To see what I mean, open up a new notebook. Go to Format > Edit Stylesheet....


On this stylesheet make a new cell. Then select this cell and go to Cell > Show Expression.


Here enter the following:


Cell[StyleData["MyTitle"],
CellGroupingRules->{"MyTitleGrouping", 0},
CounterIncrements->"MyTitle",

CounterAssignments->{{"MySection", 0}, {"MySubsection", 0}},
FontSize->26,
]

Once this has been entered now go to Cell > Show Expression to revert back. Let us create two more cells in the same fashion, one for the section and subsection.


Cell[StyleData["MySection"],
CellGroupingRules->{"MyTitleGrouping", 10},
CounterIncrements->"MySection",
CounterAssignments->{{"MySubsection", 0}},
CellFrameLabels->{{

Cell[
TextData[
CounterBox["MySection"], " -"], CellBaseline -> Baseline], Inherited}, {
Inherited, Inherited}},
FontSize->20,
]

Finally, the subsection:


Cell[StyleData["MySubsection"],
CellGroupingRules->{"MyTitleGrouping", 20},

CellFrameLabels->{{
Cell[
TextData[
CounterBox["MySection"], ".",
CounterBox["MySubsection"], " -"], CellBaseline -> Baseline],
Inherited}, {Inherited, Inherited}},
CounterIncrements->"MySubsection",
FontSize->16,
]


After creating those new styles, now we can use them, here is a screenshot of what I obtained if I use the "MyTitle", "MySection" and "MySubsection" styles.


enter image description here


Don't mind the text I entered there. The main point here is that there is no grouping.


How can I make it behave as the regular "Title", "Section" and "Subsection" styles?


enter image description here



Answer



You are inventing your own grouping types. If you open the Options Inspector and go to Cell Options -> General Properties -> CellGroupingRules the drop-down shows several options available: "NormalGrouping", "TitleGrouping", "SectionGrouping", "InputGrouping", "OutputGrouping", "GraphicsGrouping", "GroupTogetherGrouping", and "GroupTogetherNestedGrouping".


You have used "MyTitleGrouping" which is not part of the list. Per my previous question, what you are looking for is "TitleGrouping" for "MyTitle" and "SectionGrouping" for "MySection" and "MySubSection". Implementing these changes, your code becomes:


Cell[StyleData["MyTitle"],
CellGroupingRules->{"TitleGrouping", 0},

CounterIncrements->"MyTitle",
CounterAssignments->{{"MySection", 0}, {"MySubsection", 0}},
FontSize->26,
]

Cell[StyleData["MySection"],
CellGroupingRules->{"SectionGrouping", 10},
CounterIncrements->"MySection",
CounterAssignments->{{"MySubsection", 0}},
CellFrameLabels->{{

Cell[
TextData[
CounterBox["MySection"], " -"], CellBaseline -> Baseline], Inherited}, {
Inherited, Inherited}},
FontSize->20,
]

Cell[StyleData["MySubsection"],
CellGroupingRules->{"SectionGrouping", 20},
CellFrameLabels->{{

Cell[
TextData[
CounterBox["MySection"], ".",
CounterBox["MySubsection"], " -"], CellBaseline -> Baseline],
Inherited}, {Inherited, Inherited}},
CounterIncrements->"MySubsection",
FontSize->16,
]




Here's the end result, for a simple notebook:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...