Skip to main content

geometry - Why are these methods giving me different results? (Trying to test SplineFit)


I am creating a polymer(where each monomer is of equal length) using this method:



angles = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 0.2], 40];
a1 = 1;
anglePath1[angles_, a_] := FoldList[# + a {Cos@#2, Sin@#2} &, {0, 0}, Accumulate@angles]
p1 = anglePath1[angles, a1];

Then, I use SplineFit


Needs["Splines`"];
spt = SplineFit[p1, Cubic];
lt = spt[[2, -1]];


Then, I break the polymer into monomer of equal length. To do so, I calculate the arc length of the polymer:


dz = .0000001;
arc = NIntegrate[Norm[(spt[z + dz] - spt[z])/dz], {z, 0, lt}]

mesh = Solve [arc/a1 == div];
meshf = Round[div /. mesh];

After this I extract co-ordinates:


plot = ParametricPlot[spt[t], {t, 0, lt}, 
MeshFunctions -> {"ArcLength"}, Mesh -> {meshf[[1]]},

MeshStyle -> {PointSize[0.01], Red}]

coord = Cases[Normal@plot, Point[p_] :> p, Infinity];

So, now I calculate distance between each points:


(*distance calculated using initially created co-ordinates*)
Norm /@ Differences@p1

(*distance calculated using co-ordinates grabbed from spline fitted curve*)
Norm /@ Differences@coord


These two distances are different and I don't understand why.


The method calculating arc length and grabbing co-ordinates are from @MichaelE2 answer from this post:



Answer



Your points aren't in order. Change:


coord = Cases[Normal@plot, Point[p_] :> p, Infinity]

by


coord = Sort@Cases[Normal@plot, Point[p_] :> p, Infinity]


Then you'll get


(Norm /@ Differences@p1)[[1 ;; 5]]
(Norm /@ Differences@coord)[[1 ;; 5]]

(*
{1., 1., 1., 1., 1.}
{0.976258, 0.97659, 0.975463, 0.976125, 0.976947}
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...