Skip to main content

formatting - How does MakeBoxes handle an n-ary operator?


I want to format results from Reduce using the $\cup$ symbol instead of the $\lor$ symbol. For example, Reduce[x^2 > 4, x, Reals] produces $x<-2\lor x>2$ while I would like it to produce $x<-2\cup x>2$.


My current solution is to add the head xO to use in place of the Or head and associate the appropriate formatting with the xO head using MakeBoxes.


xO /: MakeBoxes[xO[x_, y_], form_] :=                                                             
RowBox[{MakeBoxes[x, form], "\[Union]", MakeBoxes[y, form]}];


When I want to invoke the special formatting, I simply substitute xO for Or.


Reduce[x^2 > 4, x, Reals] /. Or -> xO

This produces the desired result of $(x<-2)\cup (x>2)$. I am feeling like a master bit-twiddler at this point.


Of course, my next test case didn't work.


Reduce[x^3 + 2 x^2 - x - 2 == 0] /. Or -> xO
(* xO(x==-2,x==-1,x==1) *)

My MakeBoxes[xO[x_, y_]] definition above does not match the case when xO has three arguments. I added the following to limp along a little further.



xO /: MakeBoxes[xO[x_, y_, z_], form_] :=                                                         
RowBox[{MakeBoxes[x, form], "\[Union]", MakeBoxes[y, form], "\[Union]", MakeBoxes[z, form]}];

This works for three arguments, but is clearly not a robust solution. What is the general method for an n-ary function?


I tried several variations of the following:


xO /: MakeBoxes[xO[x_, y__], form_] :=                                                            
RowBox[{MakeBoxes[x, form], "\[Union]", MakeBoxes[y, form]}];

which produced the error:


MakeBoxes::argt: "MakeBoxes called with 3 arguments; 1 or 2 arguments are expected"


when applied to the Reduce[x^3 + 2 x^2 - x - 2 == 0] /. Or -> xO test case.


I am probably missing something obvious. Any ideas?



Answer



You were almost there. You just need to use the multiple-argument pattern, and generalize your code accordingly to create the internals of RowBox programmatically:


xO /: MakeBoxes[xO[x___], form_] :=
RowBox[
Riffle[
Map[MakeBoxes[#, form] &, {x}],
"\[Union]"

]
]

Note however that the above implementation leaks evaluation. It may or may not be a problem, but for example here:


x = 1;
xO[x == 1, x > 1, x < 1]

one may argue that the desired result should not be sensitive to the possible global values that x may have, so the result:


(* True \[Union] False \[Union] False *)


may be unsatisfacory. Thus, here is a more careful version:


ClearAll[xO];
SetAttributes[xO, HoldAllComplete];
xO /: MakeBoxes[xO[x___], form_] :=
RowBox@Riffle[
List @@ Replace[
HoldComplete[x],
elem_ :> With[{eval = MakeBoxes[elem, form]}, eval /; True],
{1}
],

"\[Union]"
]

which now gives


xO[x == 1, x > 1, x < 1]

(* x == 1 \[Union] x > 1 \[Union] x < 1 *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...