Skip to main content

matrix - Sparse Cholesky Decomposition


I am working with square matrices with a special form, which for large rank ($> 100,000$) would be best stored and manipulated as a SparseArray. I believe that the Cholesky decomposition of these matrices itself could also be sparse. The question I have is



How do I compute the sparse Cholesky decomposition of a sparse matrix without resorting to dense storage of the intermediates and result?



For purposes of illustration:



n = 5;
s = SparseArray[{{i_, i_} -> 2., {i_, j_} /; Abs[i - j] == 1-> -1.}, {n, n}];
s // MatrixForm

s


The CholeskyDecomposition function returns a dense matrix:


CholeskyDecomposition[s] // MatrixForm

Cholesky triangle


The CholeskyDecomposition documentation gives a lead: "Using LinearSolve will give a LinearSolveFunction that has a sparse Cholesky factorization".



ls = LinearSolve[s,"Method" -> "Cholesky"];
ls // InputForm

However, I'm stuck with what to do with this object to bring it in for the win.



Answer



LinearSolve[] actually computes a permuted Cholesky decomposition; that is, it performs the decomposition $\mathbf P^\top\mathbf A\mathbf P=\mathbf G^\top\mathbf G$. To extract $\mathbf P$ and $\mathbf G$, we need to use some undocumented properties. Here's a demo:


mat = SparseArray[{Band[{2, 1}] -> -1., Band[{1, 1}] -> 2.,
Band[{1, 2}] -> -1.}, {5, 5}];

ls = LinearSolve[mat, Method -> "Cholesky"];

g = ls["getU"]; (* upper triangular factor *)
perm = ls["getPermutations"][[1]]; (* permutation vector *)
p = SparseArray[MapIndexed[Append[#2, #1] -> 1 &, perm]]; (* permutation matrix *)

p.Transpose[g].g.Transpose[p] == mat (* check! *)
True



Here's a classical example of why permutation matrices are a must in sparse Cholesky decompositions.


Consider the following upper arrowhead matrix:



arr = SparseArray[{{1, j_} | {j_, 1} /; j != 1 -> -1., Band[{1, 1}] -> 3.}, {5, 5}];

ArrayPlot[arr]

upper arrowhead


Watch what happens after performing a Cholesky decomposition:


ArrayPlot[CholeskyDecomposition[arr]]

Cholesky triangle of upper arrowhead


Boom, fill-in. Imagine if this had been a $100\,000\times 100\,000$ upper arrowhead matrix!



If, however, we permute arr to a lower arrowhead matrix, like so:


exc = Reverse[IdentityMatrix[5]];
la = exc.arr.Transpose[exc];

ArrayPlot[CholeskyDecomposition[la]]

Cholesky triangle of lower arrowhead


What a difference a permutation makes!


For matrices with even more complicated sparsity patterns, it is doubtful if you can predict in advance that you won't get any disastrous fill-in if you insist on an unpermuted Cholesky triangle. Thus, all standard sparse Cholesky routines always perform some sort of permutation; though, as with any automatic routine of this sort, the permutation chosen might not be the most optimal, and yet yield something still good enough to work.


For reference, here's how LinearSolve[] does on an upper arrowhead:



lsar = LinearSolve[arr, Method -> "Cholesky"];
g = lsar["getU"];
ArrayPlot[g]

Cholesky triangle from LinearSolve


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...