Skip to main content

complex - Why doesn't FullSimplify drop the Re function from an expression known to be real?


For some reason Mathematica does not properly simplify this expression:


In[7]:= FullSimplify[ArcTan[-Re[x + z], y], (x | y | z) \[Element] Reals]
Out[7]= ArcTan[-Re[x + z], y]


Obviously, if x and z are real, then so is x+z, so Re[x + z] should be replaced by x + z. Strangely enough, dropping any small part of the input fixes the problem, here are some examples.
No minus sign:


In[8]:= FullSimplify[ ArcTan[Re[x + z], y], (x | y | z) \[Element] Reals]
Out[8]= ArcTan[x + z, y]

No z:


In[9]:= FullSimplify[ArcTan[-Re[x], y], (x | y | z) \[Element] Reals]
Out[9]= ArcTan[-x, y]

No y:



In[10]:= FullSimplify[ArcTan[-Re[x + z]], (x | y | z) \[Element] Reals]
Out[10]= -ArcTan[x + z]

Of course I can just drop the Re function manually, but this is just a small fragment of the actual expression I'm trying to simplify, and I would like to avoid going though the whole expression looking for this specific pattern.
Anyone knows how to fix this? Is this a bug or what? (I'm using version 8.0.4.0)



Answer



The problem is due to Mathematica thinking that the version with the Re[] is actually simpler. This is because the default complexity function is more or less LeafCount[], and


In[332]:= ArcTan[-Re[x+z],y]//FullForm
Out[332]//FullForm= ArcTan[Times[-1,Re[Plus[x,z]]],y]


whereas


In[334]:= ArcTan[-x-z,y]//FullForm
Out[334]//FullForm= ArcTan[Plus[Times[-1,x],Times[-1,z]],y]

Here is a function that counts leaves without penalizing negation:


In[382]:= f3[e_]:=(LeafCount[e]-2Count[e,Times[-1,_],{0,Infinity}])
{LeafCount[x],LeafCount[-x],f3[x],f3[-x]}
Out[383]= {1,3,1,1}

If you tell mathematica to simplify using this complexity function then you get the expected result:



FullSimplify[ArcTan[-Re[x+z],y],(x|y|z)\[Element]Reals,ComplexityFunction->f3]


Out[375]= ArcTan[-x-z,y]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...