Skip to main content

animation - Export Animate command to MOV video


I'm trying to export a rather complex Animate command into a full-HD resolution video, but having no success so far. The animation has around 520 frames (the number of elements in the trajectory array). What I should be seeing is a tube object moving with a sphere object, and whilst I can see the animation is working with the Animate command, I cannot see the same results when I export the animation. I have tried different things but this just doesn't seem to work, I'm probably not using the export command in the right way. Instead of the 500~ frames trajectory of the tube and the sphere, I just see the animator moving from one side to other.


I'm using the Export function, in the following way:



Export["my_output.mov",animationObject,"QuickTime",ImageSize->{1920,1080}]

My animation object follows this pattern:


(*theta and phi work as a function of s (the only animated variable) to change the view point*)
theta = N[Table[q, {q, 0.1, 2 \[Pi], (2 \[Pi] - 0.1)/Length[trajectory]}]];
phi = N[Table[q, {q, 0.5 \[Pi], 2.5 \[Pi], 2 \[Pi]/Length[trajectory]}]];

Animate[
Show[
(*data is a static array of around 5000 points*)

ListPointPlot3D[(*my list plot options and data*)],

(*A tube *)
Graphics3D[{White, Thickness [0.01], Opacity[0.4],Tube[trajectory[[1 ;; s]]]}],

(*A sphere*)
Graphics3D[{Yellow, Sphere[{trajectory[[s]]}, {0.02, 0.02}]}],

(*Just showing some grids with 10 grid lines*)
FaceGrids -> {(*Specific options for the face grids to show more lines, etc*)},


(*ViewPoint changed according to the corresponding value of s in the theta and phi arrays*)
ViewPoint -> Dynamic[{Sin[theta[[s]]] Cos[phi[[s]]],Sin[theta[[s]]] Sin[phi[[s]]], Cos[theta[[s]]]}],
ViewAngle -> 50 Degree],

(*Animate Parameters*)
{s, 1, Length[trajectory], 1}, DisplayAllSteps -> True,AnimationRepetitions -> 1, AnimationRunning -> False]

I'm using Mathematica 8 student version.



Answer




Since your code is not running due to the lack of trajectory and data it's not possible to give a verified solution, but the tips should help too. What you have to keep in mind is



  • you don't need Animate because to export a movie, you can just give Export a list of images or graphics. Use Table in exact the same way where you have Animate and remove the Dynamic from your ViewPoint

  • your static ListPointPlot3D does never change but you call it for every new frame. Store this (e.g. with a With block) into a variable and use this

  • speaking of this: maybe it is better to create a list of images because they are usually faster to render than Graphics3D objects. This can be done by converting the Graphics3D you create with Rasterize[gr, "Image",...]. There you can specify your image size. If you only want to export it as movie, than it make in my opinion no difference, where you rasterize it.

  • on the other hand 500 images of HD-size use a bit of memory, so maybe you have to try different things here if you run out of mem.


Finally, if you really want to create a movie of high quality, where you don't care about movie-size, than it's maybe worth to antialias the images before putting them into the movie. If you use a high-compression in your movie, then you can skip this since it maybe will not be visible any more. If you create your list of graphics with


With[{lp = 
ListPointPlot3D[data,

PlotStyle -> Directive[PointSize[0.009], Opacity[0.6]],
PlotRange -> {{-0.6, 0.4}, {-0.4, 0.6}, {-0.5, 0.5}},
SphericalRegion -> True, RotationAction -> "Clip"]},
imgs = Table[
Show[Graphics3D[{White, Thickness[0.01], Opacity[0.4],
Tube[trajectory[[1 ;; s]]]}],
Graphics3D[{Yellow,
Sphere[{trajectory[[s]]}, {0.02,
0.02}]}], Background -> Automatic,
Boxed -> False,

BoxRatios ->
Automatic,
FaceGrids -> {{{0, -1, 0}, {Table[l, {l, -1, 1, 0.1}],
Table[l, {l, -1, 1, 0.1}]}}, {{0,
0, -1}, {Table[l, {l, -1, 1, 0.1}],
Table[l, {l, -1, 1, 0.1}]}}, {{1, 0,
0}, {Table[l, {l, -1, 1, 0.1}],
Table[l, {l, -1, 1,
0.1}]}}},
ViewPoint -> {Sin[theta[[s]]] Cos[phi[[s]]],

Sin[theta[[s]]] Sin[phi[[s]]], Cos[theta[[s]]]},
ViewAngle -> 50 Degree, ImageSize -> {1920, 1080}],
{s, 1, Length[trajectory], 1}]
];

You can do in the export


Antialias[g_Graphics3D] := Module[{
resolution = 72, factor = 2},
ImageResize[
Rasterize[g, "Image", ImageResolution -> factor*resolution],

Scaled[1/factor]]
]

Export["tmp/my_output.mov", Antialias /@ imgs]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...