Skip to main content

export - Why does this simple program leak memory?


I have a simple Mathematica program which writes some plots to image files for later conversion into a movie. Unfortunately, the program leaks so much memory that it quickly exhausts all 12G of RAM on my machine. The only way out is to quit the kernel(s).


I can't see why this program shouldn't use a bounded amount of memory. I've read through Debugging memory leaks which unfortunately hasn't helped - the only "heavy" symbol is 'data', whose size is fixed. I don't see what's growing!


Note that the same problem occurs regardless of whether the loop is Map or Do, Parallel- or not. The problem also occurs in both Mathematica 8 and 9, both under Linux.


Help?


(* number of frames *)
n = 1000;

(* just some bogus data *)
makeData[_] := Table[{{x, y} = RandomReal[{-3, 3}, {2}], {y, -x}}, {200}];
data = Array[makeData, n];
(* Export the frames *)
ParallelMap[
Export[
"movie-" <> IntegerString[#, 10, 4] <> ".png",
ListVectorPlot[data[[#]]]] &,
Range[1, n]];


Edit:
Some more information: after running this code (the non-parallel version), I checked the memory usage of the processes involved. The percentages are out of 12GB, so both the frontend and the kernel are consuming quite a bit of memory, while PNG.exe is almost nonexistent.


  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            
24575 gredner 20 0 4400 740 588 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 Mathematica
24646 gredner 20 0 3029m 2.3g 22m S 0 20.5 1:43.02 Mathematica
24655 gredner 20 0 3384m 1.6g 14m S 0 13.7 3:31.47 MathKernel
24984 gredner 20 0 387m 7364 2464 S 0 0.1 0:20.92 PNG.exe


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...