Skip to main content

gui construction - How can I get "custom" controls to appear and behave like "default" controls in my Manipulate?



For various reasons I need to define some controls in my Manipulate with complex behaviors that are not (or at least I don't think can be) accomplished using the simple default syntax for Manipulate controls.


Thanks to some answers here, I have controls that support thee behaviors, but



  • I can't get them to appear in my Manipulate aligned and labeled like the default controls, and

  • one of the controls does not update its displayed value when I click on it.


For example with


Manipulate[
Row@start,
{{r2, "q", "R2"}, {"p", "m", "q", "y", "z"}, ControlType -> SetterBar, Appearance -> "Palette"},

{{r3, "z", "Label R3"}, {"p", "m", "q", "y", "z"}, ControlType -> SetterBar, Appearance -> "Palette"},

{{r4, "-"}, ControlType -> None},
Row[{
SetterBar[
Dynamic[r4, If[# != "-", n = 4; start = Take[Join[start, {"A"}], n], n = 3; start = Take[start, n]] &],
{"\[Beta]", "\[Gamma]", "-"},
Appearance -> "Palette"]
}],


Column[{Dynamic[pop /@ Range[n] // Row, TrackedSymbols :> {n}]}], {x,None}, {n, None}, {start, None},

Initialization :> (pop[i_] := With[{j = i}, PopupMenu[Dynamic[start[[j]]], CharacterRange["A", "Z"], ImageSize -> {45, 19}]]; start = ConstantArray["A", 3]; n = 3;)

]

I get



in which




  • the controls for r4 and the popup menus lack labels and do not align with the other (default style) controls, and

  • the r4 control does not reflect changes in the value of the variable.


How can I get these "custom" controls to appear and behave correctly in my Manipulate?




If there's a solution that uses "default" Manipulate control specification that I'm missing, that would be great, as would a solution that allows me to specify define and reuse a custom control (I have several that are similar to the popup control in that they involve several popups).



Answer



I do not understand everything the code is suppose to do, but passing the control as a pure function inside a variable declaration might give the desired behavior. The other change is the variable-setting function in the Dynamic for r4 was changed to actually set the value of r4 upon an update.


Manipulate[
Row@start,

{{r2, "q", "R2"}, {"p", "m", "q", "y", "z"},
ControlType -> SetterBar, Appearance -> "Palette"},
{{r3, "z", "Label R3"}, {"p", "m", "q", "y", "z"},
ControlType -> SetterBar, Appearance -> "Palette"},
{{r4, "-"},
Row[{SetterBar[
Dynamic[r4,
If[(r4 = #) != "-", n = 4; start = Take[Join[start, {"A"}], n],
n = 3; start = Take[start, n]] &], {"\[Beta]", "\[Gamma]",
"-"}, Appearance -> "Palette"]}] &},

{n, Column[{Dynamic[pop /@ Range[n] // Row,
TrackedSymbols :> {n}]}] &},
{x, None}, {start, None},
Initialization :> (pop[i_] :=
With[{j = i},
PopupMenu[Dynamic[start[[j]]], CharacterRange["A", "Z"],
ImageSize -> {45, 19}]]; start = ConstantArray["A", 3]; n = 3;)]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...