Skip to main content

plotting - How to write Morse code into Plot Dashing?



How can we define a dashing pattern in a plot such that it reads arbitrary text in Morse code?


For instance


Graphics[{DotDashed, Line[{{0, 0}, {5, 0}}]}]


Mathematica graphics



this could be interpreted as ".-" that is "a" in Morse code.


Proper spacing would be desirable in order to distinguish ".-" (a) from "-." (n).


(Inspired by @rcollyer's comment to my answer to this question.)




Answer



First define the Morse code (from rosettacode.org with corrections by @evanb)


morsecode = (#1 -> Characters[#2]) & @@@ {
{"a", ".-"}, {"b", "-..."}, {"c", "-.-."},
{"d", "-.."}, {"e", "."}, {"f", "..-."},
{"g", "--."}, {"h", "...."}, {"i", ".."},
{"j", ".---"}, {"k", "-.-"}, {"l", ".-.."},
{"m", "--"}, {"n", "-."}, {"o", "---"},
{"p", ".--."}, {"q", "--.-"}, {"r", ".-."},
{"s", "..."}, {"t", "-"}, {"u", "..-"},

{"v", "...-"}, {"w", ".--"}, {"x", "-..-"},
{"y", "-.--"}, {"z", "--.."}, {"0", "-----"},
{"1", ".----"}, {"2", "..---"}, {"3", "...--"},
{"4", "....-"}, {"5", "....."}, {"6", "-...."},
{"7", "--..."}, {"8", "---.."}, {"9", "----."}
};

Use AbsoluteDashing and define dots as short dashed, lines as long dashes and include proper spacing between symbols and characters.


morserule =  Append[(#[[1]] -> Append[Riffle[#[[2]], 3], 12]) & /@ (morsecode /. {"." -> 2 , "-" -> 7}), " " -> {0, 17}];


toMorseDash[s_String] := Flatten[Characters[ToLowerCase@s] /. morserule]

Now we can test in a simple line.


Graphics[{Thickness[0.02], AbsoluteDashing[toMorseDash[" Morse Code "]], Line[{{0, 0}, {15, 0}}]}]


Mathematica graphics



For plots, use PlotStyle-> AbsoluteDashing[toMorseDash["text"]]


Plot[Sin[t], {t, 0, 4 Pi}, PlotStyle -> {Thick, AbsoluteDashing[toMorseDash[" Sine Wave"]]}]



Mathematica graphics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...