Skip to main content

mesh - How discretize a region placing vertices on a specific non-uniform grid


Given a generic region, for example:


Ω = 
ImplicitRegion[
2 x^2 + 3 y^2 + 2 x y - 2 <= 0 ∧ x^2 + y^2 > .1, {x, y}];

and a non-uniform grid, for example:


Ωb = RegionBounds[Ω];
{xg, yg} =

N@Map[bound \[Function]
Range[bound[[1]],
bound[[2]], (bound[[2]] - bound[[1]])/20], Ωb];
{xg, yg} =
Map[g \[Function] {g[[1]],
Sequence @@ (g[[2 ;; -2]] RandomReal[{1 - .04, 1 + .04},
Length[g] - 2]), g[[-1]]}, {xg, yg}];

which, together, can be shown with:


Ωg = 

RegionPlot[Ω, AspectRatio -> Automatic];

gg = Graphics[{LightGray,
Table[
Line[{{x, Ωb[[2, 1]]}, {x, Ωb[[2,
2]]}}], {x, xg}],
Table[
Line[{{Ωb[[1, 1]], y}, {Ωb[[1, 2]],
y}}], {y, yg}]
}];


Show[gg, Ωg]

Mathematica graphics


I'm searching a way to discretize the region to a MeshRegion or ElementMesh in such a way that all vertices (MeshCoordinates or incidents) are placed on at least one gridline.


At present I'm working on a routine that discretize the region with BoundaryDiscretizeRegion with a reasonable MaxCellMeasure. Then I'm trying to split all Line mesh cells crossing any gridline into two or more Line such that at least one end is on a gridline. Then I plan to delete vertices not on a grid line and properly reconnect the sourronding vertices.


Mathematica graphics


This is the only way I could think to, but it appear difficult, because there are many branches tho examine.


A more elegant and simple approach would be helpful. For example, there is a way to use ToElementMesh and ToBoundaryMesh to accomplish this task? In the end, the routine should work with thousand of vertices and hundred of gridlines in a reasonable time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...