Skip to main content

list manipulation - Replace values which obey certain criteria


I'd like to replace all values in a list which obey one or more criteria with another value.


Example: Replace all values>30 by $30$.


data={{3,35},{2,7}}


Afterwards it should be:



{{3,30},{2,7}}



Example #2:


aa= {300., 150., 100., 76.8421, 64.0909, 55.567, 49.1935, 44.2262, 
40.2247, 36.9355, 34.1667, 31.8138, 29.7887, 28.0087, 26.4537,
25.0612, 23.8186, 22.7059, 21.6854, 20.7663, 19.9265, 19.1519,
18.4323, 17.7739, 17.1672, 16.6007, 16.0648, 15.5605, 15.098}


If a value of aa is greater than 100 I want to replace it with an arbitrary value, e.g. 50.



Answer



Up front you have a choice between pattern-based and numeric manipulation of an array. Pattern-based is more general; numeric is usually fastest when applicable.


a = {{21, 95, 50}, {39, 32, 76}, {9, 12, 75}};

Examples of pattern based methods:


a /. n_Integer /; n > 30 -> 30

a /. n_?NumericQ /; n > 30 -> 30


Replace[a, n_?(#>30&) -> 30, {2}]

Examples of numeric methods:


Clip[a, {-∞, 30}]

(a - 30) UnitStep[30 - a] + 30

Other, less desirable methods:


If[# > 30, 30, #, #] & //@ a


Map[#~Min~30 &, a, {-1}]



Fast numeric methods for the second example:


Clip[aa, {-∞, 100}, {0, 50.}]

(1 - #) 50. + aa # & @ UnitStep[100 - aa]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...