Skip to main content

function construction - Named patterns in Except


Bug introduced in 8 or earlier and fixed in 10.4.0


Bug isn't present in version 5.2




I don't think I quite understand how Except works.



I want to define $f(a,b) = (a-b)\ln(a-b)$, with the special case $f(a,a)=0$. Except, the function shouldn't evaluate if either $a$ or $b$ is zero.


I tried:


ClearAll[f]
f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, a_]] := 0;
f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, b_]] := (a - b) Log[a - b];

But for some reason DownValues[f] only reports one definition:


DownValues[f]
(* { HoldPattern[ f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, b_]]] :> (a - b) Log[a - b] } *)


This is bad because if the user inputs f[x,x], I get Infinity::indet errors.


Question What did I do wrong, and how do I make definitions with Except?



Answer



Another way to get two definitions is to only use Except on the first argument for the case where the arguments are identical.


Clear[f]

f[Except[0, a_], a_] := 0

f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, b_]] := (a - b) Log[a - b]


Annoyingly it doesn't matter the order for the definitions it comes out like this:


DownValues@f
(* {HoldPattern[f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, b_]]] :> (a - b) Log[a - b],
HoldPattern[f[Except[0, a_], a_]] :> 0} *)

So in order to get the right behaviour you have to do


DownValues[f] = Reverse@DownValues@f
(* {HoldPattern[f[Except[0, a_], a_]] :> 0,
HoldPattern[f[Except[0, a_], Except[0, b_]]] :> (a - b) Log[a - b]} *)


Now


f[3, 1]
f[3,0]
f[2,2]
f[0,0]

gives


2 Log[2]
f[3,0]
0

f[0,0]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...