Skip to main content

gui construction - Modify Dynamic value within EventHandler


I'm trying to build a tic tac toe program using a 3x3 board list running inside of a DynamicModule with a separate window displaying the current value and accepting clicks from the user. For now I'm just trying to use EventHandler to set any empty boxes to X's when clicked.


When I click on a box, I get the error



Part::pkspec1: The expression x cannot be used as a part specification.




Is this an issue with assigning a new value for board inside of the EventHandler?


How else should I structure this?


createBox[elem_] := Show[
Graphics[{White, Rectangle[]}, Frame -> True,
FrameStyle -> Thickness[.02], FrameTicks -> None],
Graphics@Text[Style[elem, FontSize -> 100], {.5, .5}],
ImageSize -> 150
]


DynamicModule[{board = Table[Table[" ", 3], 3]},
CreateWindow[
DocumentNotebook[
(*Displaying grid*)
Dynamic@Grid[
Table[Table[
EventHandler[
createBox[board[[y]][[x]]]
, {"MouseClicked" :> (
If[board[[y]][[x]] == " ", board[[y]][[x]] = "X";];

)}]
, {x, 3}], {y, 3}],
Spacings -> {0, 0}]
],
WindowElements -> {}, WindowTitle -> "Tic Tac Toe",
WindowSize -> All, Editable -> False, Selectable -> False,
ShowCellBracket -> False, WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox"}];
];

Answer



Main issues:





  • set part


    board[[y]][[x]] = val will not work, you need board[[y, x]] = "X"


    See: Part not behaving the way I expect it to




  • x and y can't get inside :>


    RuleDelayed holds and so after Table is done you will have board[[y, x]] in each item, instead of expected e.g. board[[2,1]] etc.


    The way to go is to use With[{i=i},... idiom, see: Function in Table





  • DynamicModule is 'a scoped rectangle in your screen'


    So instead of DynamicModule[.. CreateWindow.. it should rather be CreateWindow[.. DynamicModule..


    See e.g. IntroductionToDynamic




Secondary issues





  • you don't need Dynamic around Grid, only content of board changes so you can put it inside createBox[Dynamic[...]]




  • it is better to use === instead of == to compare non numerical values




  • Show[Graphics...] can be combined in one Graphics[...]




  • Unless you need it we can replace CreateWindow[NotebookDocument with CreateDocument (omg, I just realized the origin of this function name, thanks)





  • but your notebook's options suggest it may be enough to use CreateDialog




  • you can combine nested Table into one




Summing up:


createBox[elem_] := Graphics[

{ { White, Rectangle[] }
, Text[Style[elem, FontSize -> 100], {.5, .5}]
}
, ImageSize -> 150
, Frame -> True
, FrameStyle -> Thickness[.02]
, FrameTicks -> None
];

CreateDialog[

DynamicModule[
{board = ConstantArray[" ", {3, 3}]}
, Grid[
Table[ With[{x = x, y = y}
, EventHandler[
createBox[ Dynamic @ board[[y, x]]]
, {"MouseClicked" :> If[board[[y, x]] === " ", board[[y, x]] = "X"]
}
]]
, {x, 3}, {y, 3}

]
, Spacings -> {0, 0}
]
]
, WindowTitle -> "Tic Tac Toe"
, WindowSize -> All
];

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?