Skip to main content

programming - Distributing PlusMinus consistently


I would like to give the built-in function PlusMinus, which is undefined by default, the intuitive meaning: considering all possible combinations of $+$ and $-$.


For simple expressions, this can be implemented as follows:


PlusMinus[a_,b_] := Flatten[{a+b,a-b}]
a \[PlusMinus] b \[PlusMinus] c



{a+b+c, a-b+c, a+b-c, a-b-c}

However, there are of course more complicated examples, such as when $\pm$ appears in a function's argument, for example I would like to do the same thing for arbitrary (non-listable) functions $f(a\pm b\pm\cdots)$, which should by the same principle yield



{f[a+b+...], f[a-b+...], ...}

To complicate things even further, consider




  • $f(a\pm b, c)$

  • $a+f(b+c\pm d,e)$

  • $\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$

  • ...


Can this be implemented purely by giving PlusMinus the appropriate definitions?



Answer



Here's my shot, haven't tested it much yet, but it's pretty weird. Flattens out in NumericFunctions, I thought that made sense.


ClearAll[PlusMinus];
Module[{PlusMinusList},

SetAttributes[PlusMinus, {Flat, OneIdentity, NumericFunction}];
SetAttributes[PlusMinusList, {Flat, OneIdentity}];
PlusMinus[a_] := PlusMinusList[a, -a];
PlusMinus[a_, b_] := PlusMinusList[a + b, a - b];
PlusMinusList /:
h_Symbol?(MemberQ[Attributes[#], NumericFunction] &)[b___,
pm_PlusMinusList, a___] :=
Block[{PlusMinusList}, h[b, #, a] & /@ pm];
PlusMinusList[exp___] := {exp} /; Length@Stack[] === 4;
PlusMinusList /:

h_?(Head[#] =!= Symbol || !
MemberQ[Attributes[#], NumericFunction] &)[bef___,
PlusMinusList[pm___], aft___] :=
h[bef, {pm}, aft];
]

The idea is that it splits the results not in a regular List but in a PlusMinusList, which flattens itself out. With UpValues, it distributes over NumericFunctions. Then I put a couple of weird definitions to turn the PlusMinusList into a List in two cases: when it's already in the highest level of the stack, and when it is wrapped up by a non numeric function. But I'm already seing that it doesn't Flatten properly nested PlusMinus because it doens't have the NumericFunction Attribute


EDIT


I added the attribute NumericFunction to PlusMinus, and removed the condition "/; h =!= PlusMinusList;" which I think serves no purpose. Also added a line to consider the single argument case PlusMinus[x]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...