Skip to main content

replacement - Replace expressions by self defined symbols


I have a list of expressions like the following:


{{X00 ** X10 + X01 ** X10 - X10 ** X01 - X10 ** X00 }, 
{X01 ** X10 - X10 ** X01 - X02 ** X10},
{X00 ** X12 - X12 ** X00}, {X01 ** X12 - X12 ** X01}, {X02 ** X13}}

where all Xij are just symbols. Now suppose we define an expression like



[X0j,X1k] := X0j ** X1k - X1k ** X0j.

Is it possible to let Mathematica substitute all terms in the list that look like the right side of the last expression by its left side?


If necessary I can change the Xij's in the list to something else.



Answer



Let's represent your bracket expression using the head bb, so


bb[x, y] == x ** y - y ** x

Then we can just use a simple replace rule:


{{X00 ** X10 + X01 ** X10 - X10 ** X01 - X10 ** X00 }, 

{X01 ** X10 - X10 ** X01 - X02 ** X10},
{X00 ** X12 - X12 ** X00}, {X01 ** X12 - X12 ** X01}, {X02 ** X13}}
//. x_ ** y_ - y_ ** x_ :> bb[x, y]

(* ==>
{{bb[X00, X10] + bb[X01, X10]},
{bb[X01, X10] - X02 ** X10},
{bb[X00, X12]}, {bb[X01, X12]}, {X02 ** X13}}
*)


We can automate the conversion between the two representations using


toBracket[expr_] := expr //. x_ ** y_ - y_ ** x_ :> bb[x, y]
fromBracket[expr_] := expr /. bb[x_, y_] :> x ** y - y ** x

If you wish to have a prettier notiation, you could for example use AngleBracket instead of bb. It is formatted like this:


Mathematica graphics


You can enter the brackets using the key sequence Esc<Esc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...