Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Can Mathematica help me evaluate an integral over disjoint disks $I = int_{D_1} int_{D_2} log|x-y| dy dx$?


I want to evaluate an integral that involves two disjoint unit disks $D_1$ and $D_2$. $D_1$ is centered at $(-2,0)$ and $D_2$ is centered at $(0,2)$. The integral I want to compute is



$$I = \int_{D_1} \int_{D_2} \log|x-y| dy dx.$$


I looked at the in-built Python integration methods and also the quadpy library but although they have lots of options for integration over a single disk, I couldn't find anything that can help me with integrating over two disjoint disks.


Is it possible to evaluate this integral in Mathematica? I don't need an optimum method, I just need to obtain the value of this integral.



Answer



NIntegrate[
Log[Norm[{x1, x2} - {y1, y2}]],
{x1, x2} ∈ Disk[{-2, 0}, 1],
{y1, y2} ∈ Disk[{2, 0}, 1]
]



13.6822



(the actual result being 13.682176919165677),


In order to enter ∈, just type Esc e l Esc.


In order to increase the precision, use the option PrecisionGoal.


Edit


Another possibility that relieves Mathematica from the need to discretize the disks and that allows her to use higher-order quadrature formulas is to employ polar coordinates on each of the disks:


NIntegrate[
Log[Norm[{r1 Cos[θ1] - 2,r1 Sin[θ1]} - {r2 Cos[θ2] + 2,r2 Sin[θ2]}]] r1 r2,

{r1, 0, 1}, {θ1, -Pi, Pi},
{r2, 0, 1}, {θ2, -Pi, Pi},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"
]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...