Skip to main content

rasterize - BarChart rasterized in EMF export


My boss wants several Mathematica graphics as vector graphics in EMF format. All my plots are exported neatly, except for a BarChart which gets rasterized for no apparent reason:


Export["test.emf", BarChart[{1, 2, 3}]];


The resulting test.emf is almost 1 MB and clearly rasterized.


I found an older threat on the subject, but was wondering whether there is a new solution to the problem.


Thank you!



Answer



UPDATE


It seems that I found a straightforward way to disable rasterization while preserving the original appearance: the key is to add the ChartBaseStyle -> EdgeForm[Directive[GrayLevel[0.356], Opacity[1]]] option. The offending dot bug (demonstrated below in the "Original answer" section) we steel have to fix separately via post-processing /. {Opacity[0], __} -> {}:


plot = BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, 
ChartBaseStyle ->
EdgeForm[Directive[GrayLevel[0.356], Opacity[1]]]] /. {Opacity[0], __} -> {}


Export["test.emf", plot]

The above produces a 15 kb EMF file without rasterization. I have checked this workaround in Mathematica 7.0.1, 8.0.4 and 10.0.1 and it seems to work reliably. Note that the dot bug was introduced in version 8.


Original answer


Removing the transparency solves the problem:


Export["test.emf", 
BarChart[{1, 2, 3},
PerformanceGoal -> "Speed"] /. {{Opacity[0], __} :> (## &[]), Opacity[_] :> Opacity[1]}]

The above produces a 15 kb file without rasterization.



The first replacement {Opacity[0], __} :> (## &[]) is necessary for removing the redundant black dot at the axis origin:


BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, PerformanceGoal -> "Speed"] /. Opacity[_] -> Opacity[1]

screenshot


In this concrete case the original appearance can be reproduced by replacing non-zero Opacity with GrayLevel:


Export["test.emf", 
BarChart[{1, 2, 3},
PerformanceGoal -> "Speed"] /. {{Opacity[0], __} :> (## &[]),
Opacity[o_] :> GrayLevel[1 - o]}]


More general way for removing transparency provides Blend:


Opacity[a_, color_] :> Blend[{White, color}, a]

Unfortunately the form Opacity[a, color] is rarely used and inspection of the low-level structure of graphics is usually necessary for finding a way to reproduce the original appearance. For this task I recommend my shortInputForm function.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...