Skip to main content

programming - Efficient code for the Ten True Sentences puzzle


I am trying to solve Ten True Sentences Puzzle.



Take a look at the following sentences:




  • The number of times the digit 0 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 1 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 2 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 3 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 4 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 5 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 6 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 7 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 8 appears in this puzzle is _.

  • The number of times the digit 9 appears in this puzzle is _.



Fill these sentences with digits such that all the sentences holds true.



I wrote the following code, but it didn't work.


Do[
If[Tally[Range[0, 9] ~Join~ x][[All, 2]] == x, Print@x],
{x, Tuples[Range[0, 9], 10]}] // AbsoluteTiming

How can I imporve my code?


Updated



Compile[{},
NestWhile[Join[{1, 7, 3, 2}, RandomInteger[10, 6]] &, Range[0,9],
Tally[Range[0, 9] ~Join~ #][[All, 2]] != # &],
CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"
][] // AbsoluteTiming

Answer



Since the finished puzzle will contain exactly 20 numbers, we can assert that the solution for x will satisfy Total[x] == 20. We can therefore consider the IntegerPartitions of 20, which are of length 10, and limited to the numbers 1-9:


parts = IntegerPartitions[20, {10}, Range[1, 9]];

The solution for x must be a permutation of one of these, so the complete candidate set for x is:



can = Flatten[Permutations /@ parts, 1];

There are 92278 of these, sufficiently few to use the OP's code straight away. However, we can also note that the solution must satisfy (x-1).Range[0,9] == 20, so we can further reduce the candidate set:


can = can[[Flatten@Position[(can - 1).Range[0, 9], 20]]];

This leaves just 391 possibilities for x, making the OP's code very fast:


Do[If[Tally[Range[0, 9]~Join~x][[All, 2]] == x, Print@x], {x, can}]
(* {1,7,3,2,1,1,1,2,1,1} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...