Skip to main content

manipulate - Tangent to a circle



I am trying to show vector of fixed length which is the tangent to a circle which rotates. Any suggestions on how to simplify this ? My question is not about using Manipulate etc but more is there an easier way to compute and draw the tangent ?


x[t_] := Cos[t];
y[t_] := Sin[t];
d[x_, y_] := If[y == 0, 0, -x/y];
tangent[1, 0] = Arrow[{{1, 0}, {1, 1}}];
tangent[-1, 0] = Arrow[{{-1, 0}, {-1, -1}}];
tangent[0, -1] = Arrow[{{0, -1}, {1, -1}}];
tangent[0, 1] = Arrow[{{0, 1}, {1, 1}}];
tangent[x_, y_] =
If[y > 0,

Arrow[{{x, y}, {x - Cos[ArcTan[d[x, y]]],
y - Sin[ArcTan[ d[x, y]]]}}],
Arrow[{{x, y}, {x + Cos[ArcTan[d[x, y]]],
y + Sin[ArcTan[ d[x, y]]]}}]];
Manipulate[
p = ParametricPlot[{x[t], y[t]}, {t, 0, 2 π},
PlotRange -> {-2, 2}];
g = Graphics[{{Blue, Line[{{0, 0}, {x[a], y[a]}}]}, {Red,
tangent[x[a], y[a]]}}];
Show[{p, g}],

{a, 0, 2 π}]

Moving tangent


I extended my example above to include a 3D solution using suggested solutions -


Module[{x,y,z,tangent},
x[t_]:=Cos[t];
y[t_]:=Sin[t];
z[t_]:=0;
r ={{-2,2},{-2,2},{-2,2}};
p=ParametricPlot3D[{x[t],y[t],z[t]},{t,0,2Ï€},PlotRange->r,BoxRatios->1];

tangent[x_,y_,z_]:={Red,Arrow[{{x,y,z},{x-y,x+y,z}}]};
Manipulate[
g :=Graphics3D[{Sphere[{x[t],y[t],z[t]},0.2],
{Green,Arrow[{{x[t],y[t],z[t]},{x[t],y[t],1}}]},
{Blue,Arrow[{{0,0,0},{x[t],y[t],z[t]}}]},
tangent[x[t],y[t],0]
},PlotRange->r,BoxRatios->1];
Show[p,g],
{t,0,4Ï€}
]

]

3D




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...