Skip to main content

Visualize cluster distances in DendrogramPlot


I want to perform a cluster analysis using the HierarchicalClustering package. Is there a way to display the inter-cluster distances in a dendrogram plot?



An example how the result should look like: here.



Answer



DendrogramPlot accepts Axes as an option. Despite syntax highlighting in red of Axes and AxesOrigin, GridLines etc. these options seem to work with DendrogramPlot.


Inter-cluster distance in a Cluster object is given as the third element.


enter image description here


Several combinations of DistanceFunction and Linkage where inter-cluster distances are highlighted in red and shown as green gridlines in the dendogram plot:


Needs["HierarchicalClustering`"]

Grid[{{ToString@#[[1]] <> "--" <> #[[2]]},
{Replace[ Agglomerate[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8},

DistanceFunction -> #[[1]], Linkage -> #[[2]]],
Cluster[a_, b_, c_, d__] ->
Cluster[a, b, Style[c, 18, Red, Bold], d], {0,
Infinity}]}, {DendrogramPlot[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8},
DistanceFunction -> #[[1]], Linkage -> #[[2]],
LeafLabels -> (# &),
GridLines -> {None, Cases[Agglomerate[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8},
DistanceFunction -> #[[1]], Linkage -> #[[2]]],
Cluster[a_, b_, c_, d__] :> c, {0, Infinity}]},
GridLinesStyle -> Green, ImageSize -> 500,

Axes -> {False, True}, AxesOrigin -> {.75, Automatic}]}}] & /@
Tuples[{{Automatic, ManhattanDistance}, {"Complete", "Centroid"}}] // Column

enter image description here


So ... vertical axis does indeed measure the inter-cluster distances for a given DistanceFunction and Linkage.


For various combinations of DistanceFunction and Linkage you get the following pictures:


{#, Agglomerate[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8}, DistanceFunction -> Automatic, Linkage -> #], 
DendrogramPlot[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8},
DistanceFunction -> Automatic, Linkage -> #,
Axes -> {False, True}, AxesOrigin -> {-1, Automatic}],

Agglomerate[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8}, DistanceFunction -> ManhattanDistance, Linkage -> #],
DendrogramPlot[{1, 2, 10, 4, 8},
DistanceFunction -> ManhattanDistance, Linkage -> #,
Axes -> {False, True}, AxesOrigin -> {-1, Automatic}]} & /@
{"Single", "Average","Complete", "WeightedAverage", "Centroid", "Median","Ward"} //
Grid[Prepend[#, {"", "EuclideanDistance-Clusters",
"EuclideanDistance-Dendogram", "ManhattanDistance-Clusters",
"ManhattanDistance-Dendogram"}],
Dividers -> All, Alignment -> Bottom] &


enter image description here


EDIT: What I get for Frederik's example in the comments:


DendrogramPlot[Prime[#] & /@ Range[30], Axes -> {False, True}, 
AxesOrigin -> {-1, Automatic}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...