Skip to main content

Using the value of the variable in the definition of the function



How do I take the current value of n in the second line in order for the answers to be the same in both cases?


n = 2;
f[x_] := x/n;

Print[f[8]];
n = 4;
Print[f[8]];

Now:


4
2

Want:


4

4

Basically, I want the function to be x/2 after my definition. (Please don't suggest defining it as x/2, I need to define a list of functions inside the cycle.)


UPDATE


The question I asked looks oversimplified, so suggested solutions do not really work for me. Here is a more realistic example.


I want to create a list of functions, each acting on a complicated argument:


ft = {};
For[n = 1, n <= 3, n++,
tmp[x_] := x[[1]]/n;
AppendTo[ft, tmp];

];
ft[[1]][{12, 1}]
ft[[2]][{12, 1}]
ft[[3]][{12, 1}]

The generated output is


3
3
3


The desired output is:


12
6
4

I cannot replace := with = since this produces an error.



Answer



First, it is much better to use Table to construct a list instead of using For and AppendTo. Second, in order to inject the value of n into your function definition, you need to use With. Finally, instead of defining tmp 3 times (so that each definition overrides the previous definition), you can define tmp[n] 3 times. Putting this together we have:


ft = Table[
With[{n=n},

tmp[n][x_] := x[[1]]/n;
tmp[n]
],
{n, 3}
]

ft[[1]][{12,1}]
ft[[2]][{12,1}]
ft[[3]][{12,1}]



{tmp[1], tmp[2], tmp[3]}


12


6


4



Address OP question


When you use SetDelayed, this means that the RHS is not evaluated when the definition is created. Example:


n=3;
f[x_] := x/n

DownValues[f]


{HoldPattern[f[x_]] :> x/n}



Notice how the definition has n instead of 3. In order to get the value of n inserted into your definition you need to use Set (although there are many cases where you can't use Set) or you need to use a method to insert the value of n, a common one being With:


With[{n = 3},
f[x_] := x/n
];
DownValues[f]



{HoldPattern[f[x$_]] :> x$/3}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...