Skip to main content

function construction - Another difference between Set and Setdelayed. Evaluation shortcut?



A little while ago I wondered why


f[x_] = f[x]

gives an infinite iteration. I ended up discovering the following difference in evaluation between Set and SetDelayed with Evaluate.


count = 0;
ClearAll@a
a /; (count++ < 20) = {a}
a // OwnValues
count = 0;
a


Output


{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{a}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
{HoldPattern[a /; count++ < 20] :> {a}}
{a}

and


count = 0;
ClearAll@b
b /; (count++ < 20) := Evaluate@{b}

b // OwnValues
count = 0;
b

Output


{HoldPattern[b /; count++ < 20] :> {b}}
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{b}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Can somebody explain the difference? Can we say that there is an evaluation shortcut at work here?


Related



This is a follow up question: Strange results of definitions using OwnValues


Why x = x doesn't cause an infinite loop, but f[x_] := f[x] does?


Does Set vs. SetDelayed have any effect after the definition was done?



Answer



I thought to give a bit more insight into why Update is needed, as pointed out in the other answers. Its documentation says Update may be needed when a change in 1 symbol changes another via a condition test.


In Jacob's example, setting count = 0 changes the condition test outcome, and thus a or b on the LHS. Consequently, a or b on the RHS is supposed to change. However, RHS a equals the old LHS a, which was undefined because count>=20, and needs Update to be changed. RHS b behaves the same, but was not evaluated in SetDelayed because Evaluate occurs before SetDelayed, so count is unchanged, and RHS b evaluates to LHS b with count<20. If we now reset count=0, evaluating b will return {b}.


To illustrate, I modify the example to separate LHS and RHS. MMA is clever enough to automatically update LHS declared as a variable, so I have to make a function:


count=0;
ClearAll[LHS,RHS];
LHS[]/;(count++<20)={RHS};

RHS=Unevaluated@LHS[];

count=0;
RHS (* Equals LHS[] with count >= 20 *)

(* Tell Wolfram Language about changes affecting RHS which depends on LHS *)
Update@Unevaluated@LHS;
RHS



LHS[]


{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{LHS[]}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?