Skip to main content

units - UnitConvert works despite wrong dimension - bug or feature?


I am surprised that there are some cases where unit conversion works, even if the input- and output dimensions are clearly different:


UnitConvert[Quantity[1., 1/"Meters"], "Centimeters"]
(* returns 0.01/cm *)

Also, the following (and many, more complicated inputs) work. It seems that when you have a compound unit at the input, and a single unit for the output, Mathematica only converts the specified "dimension" (length, time, ...) and any power of that dimension (length^n, ...):



UnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Amperes"/"Meters"], "Centimters"]
(* returns 0.01 A/cm *)
UnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Meters"*"Kilograms"/"Amperes"], "Pounds"]
(* returns 2.20462 lb m/A *)
UnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Meters"*"Feet"*"Kilograms"/"Amperes"], "Centimeters"]
(* returns 3048 kg cm^2/A *)

While this is a convenient shortcut to simplify compound units, it also seems dangerous, since this behaviour is not specified in the documentation.


Also, I am using units in my calculations to ensure I am not making trivial errors in entering formulas or input values. I need Mathematica to throw an error when it encounters such incompatible unit conversions.


Is this a feature (to be specified as such in future versions) or a bug (likely to be fixed in future versions)? And is there perhaps a way to specify a "strict" behaviour for UnitConvert?




Answer



No idea concerning the interesting behaviour you mention about UnitConvert. However here is a simple workaround for you strict conversion problem (using the function CompatibleUnitQ suited for your need !!)


strictUnitConvert[q1_, q2_] := UnitConvert[q1, q2] /; CompatibleUnitQ[q1, q2];
strictUnitConvert[_, _] := "Error !! Not compatible Units";

Test


strictUnitConvert[Quantity[1., 1/"Meters"], "Centimeters"]
strictUnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Amperes"/"Meters"], "Centimeters"]
strictUnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Meters"*"Kilograms"/"Amperes"], "Pounds"]
strictUnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Meters"*"Feet"*"Kilograms"/"Amperes"], "Centimeters"]


all return



Error !! Not compatible Units



whereas for example :


strictUnitConvert[Quantity[1., "Meters"/"Seconds"], "Centimeters"/"Minutes"]

return




Quantity[6000., ("Centimeters")/("Minutes")]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...