Skip to main content

boxes - Customizing display of partial differential equations


I am manipulating partial differential equations symbolically, and would like to get the easily readable form $\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial t}$, leaving variables implicit.


Based on suggestions from How to make traditional output for derivatives I started out with


Derivative /: 
MakeBoxes[Derivative[α__][f1_][vars__Symbol], TraditionalForm] :=
Module[{bb, dd, sp},
MakeBoxes[dd, _] ^=

If[Length[{α}] == 1, "\[DifferentialD]", "∂"];
MakeBoxes[sp, _] ^= "\[ThinSpace]";
bb /: MakeBoxes[bb[x__], _] := RowBox[Map[ToBoxes[#] &, {x}]];
TemplateBox[{ToBoxes[bb[dd^Plus[α], f1]],
ToBoxes[Apply[bb,
Riffle[Map[bb[dd, #] &,
Select[({vars}^{α}), (# =!= 1 &)]], sp]]],
ToBoxes[Derivative[α][f1][vars]]}, "ShortFraction",
DisplayFunction :> (FractionBox[#1, #2] &),
InterpretationFunction :> (#3 &),

Tooltip -> Automatic]]

When functions appear outside of partial derivatives, they still appear as $v(t,x)$. Trying to fix this, I tried


supressVariable[f_Symbol] := 
f /: MakeBoxes[f[t, x], TraditionalForm] :=
InterpretationBox[ToBoxes[f], f[t, x]]
SetAttributes[supressVariable, Listable]
supressVariable[{v, ρ, p, f}];

This works fine for both



f[t, x] v[t, x] == 0 // TraditionalForm

and


ρ[t, x]*Derivative[0, 1][v][t, x] + 
v[t, x]*Derivative[0, 1][ρ][t, x] +
Derivative[1, 0][ρ][t, x] == 0 // TraditionalForm

producing nicely readable equations. However, the simple


f[t, x] == 0 // TraditionalForm


gives error message



An unknown box name (ToBoxes) was sent as the BoxForm for the expression. Check the format rules for the expression



and I don't know what to do with this. Can anybody help me out?



Answer



It seems to me that using MakeBoxes in this case is overkill. How about this simpler definition?


supressVariable[f_Symbol] := 
Format[f[t, x], TraditionalForm] := Interpretation[f, f[t, x]]


SetAttributes[supressVariable, Listable]
supressVariable[{v, ρ, p, f}];

This doesn't encounter the issue you faced, because the symbol f is passed directly to Interpretation (no need to wrap it in ToBoxes at all).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...