Skip to main content

bugs - Why doesn't my expression evaluate at the subkernel?


Consider this code:



BeginPackage["Test`"];
f1::usage = "";
f2::usage = "";
f3::usage = "";
Begin["`Private`"];
fQ[myf_] := Head[myf] === f1;
f1[n_][t_] := 0;
f2[myf1_?fQ, myf2_?fQ][t_] := 0;
f3[myf1_] := myf1[0.];
End[];

EndPackage[];

The expression evaluate on main kernel


f3[f2[f1[1], f1[1]]]
(*0*)

but when I evaluate on subkernels, it seems that it is not evaluated


LaunchKernels[];
DistributeDefinitions[f1, f2, f3];


ParallelEvaluate[Block[{data}, data = f3[f2[f1[1], f1[1]]];
Print[data];], (Kernels[])[[1]]]

(* (kernel 1) Test`f2[Test`f1[1],Test`f1[1]][0.]*)

Where do I do wrong?


And if I distribute the definition of the fQ, it then get evaluated:


DistributeDefinitions[f1, f2, f3, Test`Private`fQ];
ParallelEvaluate[Block[{data}, data = f3[f2[f1[1], f1[1]]];
Print[data]], (Kernels[])[[1]]]

(* (kernel 1) 0 *)

How should I understand this behavior?



Answer



As @image_doctor notes in a comment, the problem occurs because the definition of Test`Private`fQ is not being distributed to the other kernels.


DistributeDefinitions uses Language`ExtendedFullDefinition to determine which definitions to transmit. We can see this by evaluating the following expression:


On[Language`ExtendedFullDefinition]
DistributeDefinitions[f1, f2, f3];
Off[]


(* ...
Language`ExtendedFullDefinition::trace :
Language`ExtendedFullDefinition[{f1,f2,f3},ExcludedContexts->{Algebra,...}] -->
Language`DefinitionList[
f1->{...,SubValues->{HoldPattern[f1[<<1>>][<<1>>]]:>0},...},
f2->{...,SubValues->{HoldPattern[f2[<<2>>][<<1>>]]:>0},...},
f3->{...,DownValues->{HoldPattern[f3[<<1>>]]:>Test`Private`myf1[0.]},...}]. >>
*)

Test`Private`fQ is absent from the generated Language`DefinitionList.



Language`ExtendedFullDefinition is normally able to trace all dependencies in a function:


ff[x_] := gg[x]
gg[x_] := x + 1
Language`ExtendedFullDefinition[ff]

(*
Language`DefinitionList[
ff->{...,DownValues->{HoldPattern[ff[x_]]:>gg[x]},...},
gg->{...,DownValues->{HoldPattern[gg[x_]]:>x+1},...}
]

*)

But apparently it does not account for pattern tests in definitions:


ff2[x_?gg2] := 1
gg2[x_] := True
Language`ExtendedFullDefinition[ff2]

(*
Language`DefinitionList[
ff2->{...,DownValues->{HoldPattern[ff2[x_?gg2]]:>1},NValues->{},...}

]
*)

The pattern test function gg2 is missed by the dependency scan. This would appear to be a bug, but I might just be unaware of some compelling reason to ignore pattern tests in these circumstances.


As noted in the question, the work-around is to manually identify and distribute any missing dependencies. The "distribute" part of that is easy -- it is the "identify" part that can be difficult.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...