Skip to main content

matrix - Cell-adjacency Graph of a Square Mesh


Consider the list of points


pts = {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {2, 1}, {2, 2}}

I want to use them to define a 2x2 square mesh using VoronoiMesh, where each cell has two neighbours. Following the discussion in this question, consider the following code


mesh = VoronoiMesh[pts, ImageSize -> Medium];
conn = mesh["ConnectivityMatrix"[2, 1]];
adj = conn.Transpose[conn];
centers = PropertyValue[{mesh, 2}, MeshCellCentroid];
g = AdjacencyGraph[adj, PlotTheme -> "Scientific",

VertexCoordinates -> centers];
Show[mesh, g]

enter image description here


As one can see, unlike other meshes, this one does not seem to work exactly as I want, since the diagonal edge should not appear. Why is this happening? Any way of avoiding that edge and get


enter image description here


as one would expect from a square lattice?


Edit: As noticed in the comment section, some of the polygons seem to have sharing edges that are single points, which is enough for them to be considered neighbouring cells. This effect is unchanged with the size of the lattice. If I consider, for example, the points


pts = Flatten[Table[{i, j}, {i, 7}, {j, 5}], 1];


I get


enter image description here


Any ideas on how to solve this? Maybe omit the extra edge in a way that doesn't this or other non-square meshes. For example, considering a random VoronoiMesh, nothing seems to wrong, though it could, theoretically, go


enter image description here



Answer



We can delete the rows in our incidence matrix that correspond to these edges of length 0.


pts = Flatten[Table[{i, j}, {i, 7}, {j, 5}], 1];

mesh = VoronoiMesh[pts, ImageSize -> Medium];
conn = mesh["ConnectivityMatrix"[1, 2]];


lens = PropertyValue[{mesh, 1}, MeshCellMeasure];
$threshold = 0.;
keep = Pick[Range[MeshCellCount[mesh, 1]], UnitStep[Subtract[$
threshold, lens]], 0];
conn = conn[[keep]];

adj = Transpose[conn].conn;
centers = PropertyValue[{mesh, 2}, MeshCellCentroid];
g = AdjacencyGraph[adj, PlotTheme -> "Scientific", VertexCoordinates -> centers];


Show[mesh, g]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...