Skip to main content

assignment - Set on symbol with OwnValues skips UpValues


Can anyone provide insight on what's going on here?


First I define a new Set behavior for a symbol:


mySym /: Set[mySym[f_], v_] := v

mySym[1] = 2

(* Out *) 2

mySym[1]


(* Out *) mySym[1]

Works great


But if we provide an alias for this symbol the UpValues never get called:


ms = mySym;

ms[1] = 2

(* Out *) 2


mySym[1]

(* Out *) 2

Even more, if we pre-Evaluate that ms we still have an issue:


Evaluate[ms][1] = 3

(* Out *) 3


mySym[1]

(* Out *) 3

Although With does the appropriate thing:


With[{m = ms},
m[1] = 4
]

(* Out *) 4


mySym[1]

(* Out *) 3

What's the cause of that? It's single-handedly nixed an OO implementation I was working on.



Answer




But if we provide an alias for this symbol the UpValues never get called:




Set is HoldFirst. That means that its first argument does not get evaluated before it is passed to Set. ms[1] = 2 never gets transformed to mySym[1] = 2.


It is true that internally Set will examine its first argument and will evaluate it sometimes. That is why in this case the definition mySym[1] = 2 gets created. But that happens internally within Set. The expression mySym[1] = 2, which could trigger the UpValues rule, never materializes.



Even more, if we pre-Evaluate that ms we still have an issue:



Evaluate works only at level 1 within a held expression.


Hold[Evaluate[1 + 1]]
(* Hold[2] *)

Hold[{Evaluate[1 + 1]}]

(* Hold[{Evaluate[1 + 1]}] *)

Whenever the evaluator encounters a symbol with a Hold* attribute, it will check for any Evaluate within the first level only, and act accordingly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...