Skip to main content

function construction - Picking random items out of a list only once


I'm trying to create a function that randomly returns a value from a list but remembers the values that have been given before. At the end when the list is empty it should return an empty list. Basically like emptying a bucket full of eggs one at a time.


Suppose I have two lists:


data1 = Range[10];
data2 = Range[20];


Assume a function


getRandomItem[l_List]

I tried playing with down-values but that doesn't work.


Calling getRandomItem[data1] two times would give (e.g) {1} and {3}. Calling getRandomItem[data2] two times would give (e.g) {15} and {20}


At the end as stated before when all items are chosen both getRandomItem[data1] and getRandomItem[data2] should return {}.


I would like to do that without declaring data1 and data2 as global variables nor do I which to change/alter them. So, basically I presume the function itself should remember which data has been given to it and where it had left the previous time.



Answer



How about making a closure? A closure is a function with an internal state.


makeDrippingBucket[list_] := 

Module[{bucket = list},
If[bucket === {}, {},
With[{item = RandomChoice[bucket]},
bucket = DeleteCases[bucket, item]; {item}]] &]

Then use this to make a "bucket", like this:


bucket = makeDrippingBucket[{1,2,3,4,5}]

This object has an internal state that changes every time you call it. Every time you call bucket[], it will give you a new number, until it gets empty.


bucket[]


(* ==> {3} *)



EDIT


The same thing, using @Eli's solution of pre-randomizing the list:


makeDrippingBucket[list_] := 
Module[{bucket = RandomSample[list]},
If[bucket === {}, {},
With[{item = Last[bucket]}, bucket = Most[bucket]; {item}]] &]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...