Skip to main content

graphics3d - Dynamic ClipPlanes calculated from current ViewPoint


(This is a follow-up question to the answer found here.)


I would like to define a clip plane dynamically from the current ViewPoint of my Graphics3D. Based on the solution found in the link above, I would like to do something like this (where the ClipPlanes option depends on the ViewPoint variable vp):


DynamicModule[
{vp},
{vp} = Options[Graphics3D, ViewPoint][[All, 2]];
Graphics3D[{FaceForm[Red, Blue], Sphere[]}, Axes -> True, ViewPoint -> Dynamic[vp],

ClipPlanes -> {{Sequence@@vp,0}}, ClipPlanesStyle -> Directive[Opacity[.2], Blue]
]
]

Unfortunately this doesn't work, and I couldn't figure out how to do it.



Answer



I think this may be the behavior you desire. I am borrowing Kuba's modified ClipPanes specification. One should not need RawBoxes here I think but it does serve the purpose to get our Dynamic expression into the Front End box form.


DynamicModule[{vp},
{vp} = Options[Graphics3D, ViewPoint][[All, 2]];
Graphics3D[{FaceForm[Red, Blue], Sphere[]},

Axes -> True,
ViewPoint -> Dynamic[vp],
ClipPlanes -> RawBoxes @ Dynamic @ {{Sequence @@ Cross[vp, {0, 0, 1}], 1}},
ClipPlanesStyle -> Directive[Opacity[.2], Blue]
]
]

enter image description here


In Evaluation leak from Dynamic in Button's action John Fultz writes with fair authority:




Front end options, which includes all box options, can take Dynamic heads. That basically means that the FE will compute the value of the Dynamic and use it for the option. And that it will be updated whenever a Dynamic dependency updates.



Since:



  1. Graphic3D expression is transformed into a Graphics3DBox (as may be viewed with menu command Cell > Show Expression)

  2. ClipPlanes remains as an option therein


it stands to reason that this must work if we can keep our Dynamic option value unmolested, and RawBoxes serves to do that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...