Skip to main content

equation solving - Nsolve gives solutions with a small complex part which can't be eliminated by chop command



I do see that what I'm asking has been asked many times, and I have checked the previous questions, but they didn't work for the specific problem I'm asking: I have six equations with six unknowns:


Sqrt[2] x[2] y[1] + x[1] (x[2] - Sqrt[2] y[2]) == 1

Sqrt[2] x[3] y[2] + x[2] (x[3] - Sqrt[2] y[3]) == 1

x[1] (x[3] + Sqrt[2] y[3]) == 1 + Sqrt[2] x[3] y[1]

x[1]^2 + y[1]^2 == 1

x[2]^2 + y[2]^2 == 1


x[3]^2 + y[3]^2 == 1

and I have tried the following code to calculate the solutions:


sol = NSolve[{eq21, eq22, eq23, eq24, eq25, eq26}, 
WorkingPrecision -> MachinePrecision] // N // Chop

the problem is, all the solutions includes a complex part of the magnitude of around $10^{-8}$, which can't be chopped off by mathematica. One of the solutions looks like:


{x[1.] -> 1., x[2.] -> 1., x[3.] -> 1.,   y[1.] -> 2.84087*10^-7 - 5.67727*10^-8 I,   y[2.] -> 2.84087*10^-7 - 5.67727*10^-8 I,  y[3.] -> 2.84087*10^-7 - 5.67727*10^-8 I}}


I know that the above system has at least one solution of $[1,1,1,0,0,0]$, so this does not make sense.


For this problem, I could use the Solve command to get the exact solutions, but I will need to take care of more complex coefficients, which is shown to be difficult to be handled by Solve.


So I wonder how to get rid of the complex part, and get the precision of the result to be good? For example, I got some solution that gives me x[i]=1, but y[i] as a small complex number, while it should be 0.


Thanks a lot!


Update I


@Bob, thanks a lot for your code, but somehow, mathematica gives me some different result, especially when I use Nsolve, which returns an empty set. Any idea of what's going on? and could you please give a little bit more explanation about your code to help me understand it?


@ Daniel, even though I do not understand what it means, this method works perfect for this problem, even if I have some complex coefficients. Due to the complexity of the set of equations, I probably need to use Nsolve rather than Solve, and this method fixs the problem perfectly.



Answer



eqns = {
Sqrt[2] x[2] y[1] + x[1] (x[2] - Sqrt[2] y[2]) == 1,

Sqrt[2] x[3] y[2] + x[2] (x[3] - Sqrt[2] y[3]) == 1,
x[1] (x[3] + Sqrt[2] y[3]) == 1 + Sqrt[2] x[3] y[1],
x[1]^2 + y[1]^2 == 1,
x[2]^2 + y[2]^2 == 1,
x[3]^2 + y[3]^2 == 1};

vars = Cases[eqns, x[_] | y[_], Infinity] // Union

(* {x[1], x[2], x[3], y[1], y[2], y[3]} *)


solns = Solve[eqns, vars];

Verifying solutions


And @@@ (eqns /. solns)

(* {True, True, True, True, True, True, True, True} *)

vars /. solns // Column

enter image description here



EDIT: Using NSolve


(solns2 = ((vars /. NSolve[eqns, vars]) /.
z_?NumericQ :> Round[Chop[z, 10^-6], 10^-6] //
Union) /. z_Rational :> N[z]) // Column

enter image description here


EDIT 2: Or use high precision calculations


(soln3 = vars /. NSolve[eqns, vars, Reals, WorkingPrecision -> 30] // Union //
Round[#, 10.^-6] &) // Column


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...