Skip to main content

piecewise - Solving a discontinuous differential-algebraic equation system for plasticity behaviour


I need to solve a discontinuous equation which is typical in theory of plasticity. For a simple case I get the following equation system (reformulated for numerical implementation):


$$\begin{align*} s(t) &= \frac{\sigma(t)}{C_1} + s_{ep}\\ s_{ep}'(t) &= \begin{cases}\frac{C_1}{C_1+C_2}s'(t) & \text{for } |\sigma(t)-C_2 s_{ep}(t)| \ge \sigma_{gr} \land \sigma(t)s'(t)>0\\0 & \text{otherwise}\end{cases} \end{align*}$$


with "zero" initial conditions. I'd like to get the solution for $s(t)$ for given parameters $C_1$, $C_2$, $\sigma_{gr}$ and a known function $\sigma(t)$. I assumed: $\sigma(t) = 40000\sin(0.02t)$, $C_1=80000$, $C_2 = 20000$, $\sigma_{gr} = 15000$. This should give a hysteresis loop on a plane $\sigma(t)-s(t)$.


So in Mathematica I tried to use automatic discontinuity handling by defining the second equation using a Piecewise function:



σ[t_] := 40000*Sin[0.02*t];
eq1 = s[t] == σ[t]/C1 + sep[t];
eq2 = sep'[t] == Piecewise[{{C1/(C1 + C2)*s'[t], (σ[t]*s'[t] > 0) && ((σ[t] - C2*sep[t] >= σgr) || (σ[t] - C2*sep[t]<=-σgr))}}, 0];
eqSys := {eq1, eq2, s[0] == 0, sep[0] == 0};
ndsolve=NDSolve[eqSys, {s[t], sep[t]}, {t, 0, 1000}]
disp[t_] := Evaluate[s[t] /. ndsolve];
sTab = Table[disp[t][[1]], {t, 0, 1000, 1}];
σTab = Table[σ[t], {t, 0, 1000, 1}];
ListPlot[Transpose[{sTab, σTab}], PlotRange -> All, GridLines -> Automatic]


Unfortunately I get:



NDSolve::tddisc: NDSolve cannot do a discontinuity replacement for event surfaces that depend only on time. >>



and the results are incomplete or the algorithm crashes. I also tried using WhenEvent with "DiscontinuitySignature" but with no success. This approach gives good results only for a linear monotonic function of $\sigma$, e.g. $\sigma(t) = 50t$.


I wrote a module to solve this using a simple first order Runge-Kutta so I obtained the solution but this is only a simple model. I'm sure Mathematica can solve this with its build-in methods. That would really save me a lot of work writing my own procedures.



Answer



Edit:
Using a helper function fh will result in no messages and no need to set extra options.


σ[t_] := 40000 Sin[0.02 t]

C1 = 80000;
C2 = 20000;
σgr = 15000;

fh[t_?NumericQ, x_, y_] := Piecewise[{{C1/(C1 + C2)*y,
(σ[t]*y > 0) && ((σ[t] - C2*x >= σgr) || (σ[t] - C2*x <= -σgr))}}, 0]

sol = NDSolve[{s[t] == σ[t]/C1 + sep[t], sep'[t] == fh[t, sep[t], s'[t]],
s[0] == 0, sep[0] == 0}, {s[t], sep[t]}, {t, 0, 1000}];


s[t_] = s[t] /. sol // First;
ParametricPlot[{s[t], σ[t]}, {t, 0, 10^3}, PlotRange -> All,
AspectRatio -> Full, GridLines -> Automatic]


plot



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...